Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrode metals

wicked Guest

electrode metals

i have been thinking what other metals can you use for the electrodes aluminum, zinc, nickel, and others. would these work better. if no one have tried this i am willing

Quote Originally Posted by wicked View Post
    i have been thinking what other metals can you use for the electrodes aluminum, zinc, nickel, and others. would these work better. if no one have tried this i am willing
    Aluminum will be eaten up by any base catalyst, such as KOH or NaOH.
    As for zinc and nickel, I'm not sure, I know that zinc is a part of stainless steel that gives it it's strength against corrosiveness, so perhaps this is an option?

Just be careful, as harmful gasses can be given off with some metals, for example, KOH / NaOH electrolyte with aluminum gives off (ironically) hydrogen and chlorine (I think, or some other non-respiration friendly gas).
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

wicked Guest
    yes zinc and nickel are in stainless but i dont know how there are alone i am in welding class i will ask my teacher tomorrow if he says it should work ill try it and fill you in

Question

yes zinc and nickel are in stainless but i dont know how there are alone i am in welding class i will ask my teacher tomorrow if he says it should work ill try it and fill you in
    Why would your welding instructor know anything about electrolysis?

Thousands of us have gone down these paths, why don't you spend a day reading instead of going off on a tangent?

Here's a story:

A long time ago, a few friends and I were walking around our new neighborhood.

As we passed one house, everyone noticed how beautiful the lawn looked.

Each guy said something like:

I'm going to fertilize.

I'm going to water.

I'm going to aerate. etc.

I said, "I'm going to ask the owner what he does".

Study grasshopper, study.

BoyntonStu

I tried some zinc coated bolts and they turned a gray corrosion color. Zinc is used in boating as a sacrificial anodes. So they corrode under galvanic/electrolysis exposure.

Aluminum is consumed when exposed to water with a strong base. I understand that the aluminum is turned to aluminum oxide while releasing hydrogen. It is called a cornish generator. I believe that is how I read it.

wicked Guest
    my teacher my not know about electrolysis but he knows the corrosive nature
    of the metals

Question

my teacher my not know about electrolysis but he knows the corrosive nature
    of the metals
    Ask a welder about welding; makes sense.

Ask an experienced Hydroxy builder about electrode materials?

I am interested in what your teacher tells you.

Ask him which stainless makes the best electrode and why would he choose it?

Is it 430, 303, 304, 304L, 316, 316L, or 317L?

Tomorrow I will ask my butcher which fish he recommends.

BoyntonStu

wicked Guest
    if you think about it the first people that i asked are the most experienced Hydroxy builders that i know and also to be a welder you need to know metallurgy witch also teaches about electrodes and electrodes are something a welder uses every day

if you think about it the first people that i asked are the most experienced Hydroxy builders that i know and also to be a welder you need to know metallurgy witch also teaches about electrodes and electrodes are something a welder uses every day
    One addition to consider is the difference between electrodes used in welding, high voltage welding for example and those used in electrolysis.

In electrolysis, the conductance through the electrolyte offers the opportunity for compounds from one of the electrodes to travel through the electrolyte and either react with it or with the other electrode.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Exclamation

A restaurant uses plates.

Some institutions use SS plates.

My hydrogen generator uses SS plates; not electrodes.

Asking your favorite restaurant about hydrogen generator plates is about the same as asking your welder about hydrogen generator non-electrodes.

Your confusion, like so many other newbies has a lot to do with definitions.

BoyntonStu