Thread: what to buy? pc power suply vs car battery charger and Ampere /volt meter

what to buy? pc power suply vs car battery charger and Ampere /volt meter

were and what should i buy to power my cell and also what Ampere /volt meter do you guys recommend brand or model

i am new to this and iv been playing around with 316 steel plates that are kinda thick and a lil biger then a light switch pannel and i keep blowing my old batter chargers they work great for a few hours but affter 5 hours or so they went bad 1 basicly lose 90 percent of power no fuses 2 blow i checked that i dont have a volt meater yetbut they still have power but very lil and dose not produce hho like it did before the other one i had on all day just blew out i can hear the humming when i turn it on but no power at all so need sumthing new thanks 4 any help i get
    ________
    brunette girl Cams

It is vitally important to get some form of amp meter. If you don't know what kind of power you are using, you will blow up your power supply every time. Brand doesn't really matter. You can spend as little as $20 for a good clamp on amp meter. Well worth it for testing.

For a power supply, I use a deep cycle marine battery with a 75 amp booster/charger. Since I design my HHO generators to only pull 20 amps, this combination works great.

In case you are not familiar with the concept... there are two ways to limit your current draw. 1) reduce the amount of electrolyte mixed with water. 2) use a PWM.

The first method is obviously the cheapest.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

can you give me a site or what too look for to buy a good cheap dc/ac clamp meter i check amazon and none are under 50$ and can only do so much with dc and amps iam not sure what would best meat my needs working with car amps and hho. ill buy a pwm when i find out my cars amp from the alternator with the power supply i modified a pc power suply and id like to see what its pushing its a 500w id also like too buy a better one like 700w
    ________
    LovelyMonique live

Lightbulb Cheapest quality way to go and with 3% accuracy:

Cheapest quality way to go and with 3% accuracy:

3 ATX supplies in series using their 5 Volts @ 25 Amp outputs to obtain 15 Volts at 25 Amps.

A 1 foot length of #10 solid copper wire and a $2.95 Harbor Freight multimeter to measure current.

(spend another $2.95 for a second multimeter to measure the cell voltage)

Check out my previous posts for full details and photos.

If you can scrounge, the entire cost can be under $10.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by chitown1234 View Post
    can you give me a site or what too look for to buy a good cheap dc/ac clamp meter i check amazon and none are under 50$ and can only do so much with dc and amps iam not sure what would best meat my needs working with car amps and hho. ill buy a pwm when i find out my cars amp from the alternator with the power supply i modified a pc power suply and id like to see what its pushing its a 500w id also like too buy a better one like 700w
    These work well...

http://www.sourcingmap.com/clamp-dig...r-p-12892.html Edit: Doesn't do DC, This is a better one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/new-uni-t-ut203-...:B:SRCH:US:101
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    That looks like an awesome deal, qhack. But I'm always confused when they specs talk about it's AC current limit (1000A) but don't mention DC current? Will this measure the same 1000A with DC current? I want something that will read up to 200A.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    That looks like an awesome deal, qhack. But I'm always confused when they specs talk about it's AC current limit (1000A) but don't mention DC current? Will this measure the same 1000A with DC current? I want something that will read up to 200A.
    You know... you may be correct about that...

I have used the Pro-Grade brand before, but that was for a home construction job... We didn't need DC amps, just AC. Now that I look at it it may not be the best choice. I have edited my above post with a better choice...
    --

for an amp meter im using this.. here

for a volt meter im using this... here

you might be able to find these in the US ive had to get them from china !!

Ok thanks for the input every one i had no idea what or how to read the specs
    ________
    Ecig Forum