Thread: Thermostat Dry Cell Reservoir Idea

Lightbulb Thermostat Dry Cell Reservoir Idea

Wishing to run my Amoeba Cell dry for efficiency, I thought of this possibility.

Connect a normally closed 12 VDCsolenoid valve in the input line.

Attach a thermostat on the cell to control the valve.

Start up the cell.

When the temperature climbs to let's say, 140*F, the solenoid fires and the in rushing electrolyte cools the cell.

When the cell cools to the lower open thermostat point, let's say 130*F, the solenoid is cut off and the cell goes dry again.

Comments?

BoyntonStu

Interesting... May want to think about fail safe though. What happens when your solenoid sticks in the closed position and temps continue to climb. I suppose that at some point the cell would be dry and no current would flow at all... but would your cell self destruct before that point?
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Interesting... May want to think about fail safe though. What happens when your solenoid sticks in the closed position and temps continue to climb. I suppose that at some point the cell would be dry and no current would flow at all... but would your cell self destruct before that point?
    Dry cells don't conduct.

If the solenoid fails, the Ammeter will show a decrease in current as the electrolyte level decreases.

I have started up my Amoeba Cell completely dry with no difficulty.

I do not believe that adding a solenoid valve would be dangerous.

BoyntonStu

interesting idea!

be careful with the seals and the body meterial on the solenoid valve the will need to be compatible with the electrolyte

Stu here's a link for a stainless 12v solenoid valve that may be compatible with e-lyte solutions.Seems reasonably priced and thermostats are easy and inexpensive to obtain also(sorry I don't have a link for those).

http://www.kingssupply.com/item137.htm

What about using a thermostat from a car? Then you wouldnt have to worry about powering it. The electrolyte may rust it up.

Not sure what ya mean by dry but if the idea is to put cool E-lyte into a hot dry cell why not use a 2 prong temperature switch to key a relay that energizes a small pump(washer fluid pump and could even use the reservoir) I was thinking along the line of a coolant thermostatic switch like we use on our race car but there are an bunch of different types i just found this site may be of help not sure. Good luck http://www.surplussales.com/thermal/Thermal-1.html

Marine thermostats are stainless steel and the housings and gaskets they sell for them could be fitted on the e-lyte outlet on the endplate,and work the same way as on your motor.

I'm not sure what degree range they offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    Marine thermostats are stainless steel and the housings and gaskets they sell for them could be fitted on the e-lyte outlet on the endplate,and work the same way as on your motor.

I'm not sure what degree range they offer though.
    I know they have 180 deg, not sure if there is any lower then that.