Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neutral plates

neutral plates

ive seen many plate arrangemaents since ive joinded this forum. it has been very helpful and also confusing,LOL. my alternator voltage is 14.4 volts. i have 1/8 inch and 1/32 gaskets and enough 316l ss plate .060 thick to make 50 or so 4 x 4 plates. i wanted to see what you recommend as how to arrange the plates. +nnn- or +nnnnnn- or +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn- or are there any other suggestions? i have not cut the plates yet if 4x4 is a bad size id like to know

have room

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    I personally would not go with 4x4, but I have a lot of room to work with. What you need to do is figure out where you are going to put the cell first. Take measurements and plan from there.

Shane
    mounting on my lower radiator support, behind my grill. i can go up to 8x8 if thats better.

more info

i need to add that my wet cell is currently drawing 15 amps, i have had no problems running this but dont want to go any higher with my dry cell. thank you

plates

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    Your probably better going with 6x6. The reason I say that is there is more than 2x the surface area on a 6x6 than a 4x4. I would rather have a 6x6 - 22 plate instead of a 4x4 - 50, approx the same surface area - not taking the gasket in the equation.
    Not to mention less than half the gaskets to cut with a 6x6…..
    Another point, the 4x4 – 50 is going to be very thick.

With all that being said, if you are looking at just drawing 15 amps @ 14.4 I would go with a +DDDDDD-DDDDDD+ configuration (not to confuse, the D is kind of an inside joke… It’s the same thing as a N plate. ) Actually at only 15 amps you would probably be safe with just a +DDDDDD- cell.
    i wasnt actually going to use all 50 plates in one gen. im going to build 2 gens with the 2 different thickness gaskets that i have and compare

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    i need to add that my wet cell is currently drawing 15 amps, i have had no problems running this but dont want to go any higher with my dry cell. thank you
    If 15 amps is your goal 50 plates is overkill. You will not need nearly that many. Just my opinion but I would go with a 13 plate design -nnnnn+nnnnn-
    using 8x8 plates. Assuming 50 sq inches of available plate surface on each side of the plate exposed to electrolite after your gaskets take part of it up. You would have 1200 sq inches of plate surface. Using SSC's rule of thumb of 1 watt for every 4 sq inches you could run up to 300 watts of power. At 14.4 volts you would have the capability of using up to 21 amps and still run cool. Assuming a good cell design and 5.5 MMW you woulg get bstween 1.5 and 1.75 LPM of HHO gas at 20 amps. At 15 amps you would get around 1.2 LPM assuming 5.5 MMW. From what I have seen with a good cell design and the right spacing 5.5 MMW is acheivable even higher but that involves much work. There will be many opinions and mine is just that an opinion based on the things I have learned and I have much more to learn.

Larry

alternator

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    If 15 amps is your goal 50 plates is overkill. You will not need nearly that many. Just my opinion but I would go with a 13 plate design -nnnnn+nnnnn-
    using 8x8 plates. Assuming 50 sq inches of available plate surface on each side of the plate exposed to electrolite after your gaskets take part of it up. You would have 1200 sq inches of plate surface. Using SSC's rule of thumb of 1 watt for every 4 sq inches you could run up to 300 watts of power. At 14.4 volts you would have the capability of using up to 21 amps and still run cool. Assuming a good cell design and 5.5 MMW you woulg get bstween 1.5 and 1.75 LPM of HHO gas at 20 amps. At 15 amps you would get around 1.2 LPM assuming 5.5 MMW. From what I have seen with a good cell design and the right spacing 5.5 MMW is acheivable even higher but that involves much work. There will be many opinions and mine is just that an opinion based on the things I have learned and I have much more to learn.

Larry

my truck only has a 60 amp alternator. 15 amps have not caused any problems so far, im afraid that getting into the 20's might be pushing my luck!
    but you never know i have been known to take chances!!!!!!

With only a 60 amp alternator I would agree with your 15 amp limit totally. The problem with taking those chances is that the HHO Device will drain your battery. It will happen when it is dark (headlights) cold (heater) and there you will be. I know first hand. I have done just that. That was when I first found about thermal runaway. I did not even have an amp meter installed so I had no Idea that the amp draw would increase and was increasing with heat. Dark and 20 below zero with no battery is not fun!

amps

With only a 60 amp alternator I would agree with your 15 amp limit totally. The problem with taking those chances is that the HHO Device will drain your battery. It will happen when it is dark (headlights) cold (heater) and there you will be. I know first hand. I have done just that. That was when I first found about thermal runaway. I did not even have an amp meter installed so I had no Idea that the amp draw would increase and was increasing with heat. Dark and 20 below zero with no battery is not fun!
    i have tried running my lights on bright and heater wide open and the windshield wipers on full blast, still pulling right at 15 amps and my volt gauge in the truck was almost pegged at ( 8 volts ) really worried me, but after i stopped it fired right back up. but i dont think i should push it much further. i only went 18 miles like that

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    i have tried running my lights on bright and heater wide open and the windshield wipers on full blast, still pulling right at 15 amps and my volt gauge in the truck was almost pegged at ( 8 volts ) really worried me, but after i stopped it fired right back up. but i dont think i should push it much further. i only went 18 miles like that
    At 8 volts your battery is discharging. You WILL be left stranded with those conditions it is only a matter of time. I would seriously consider a higher amp alternator. Very high amp alternators 200+ amp are very expensive but you should be able to find a 100 to 120 amp alternator for a reasonable amount of money. Good luck and most of all be careful. I would duplicate those conditions in your driveway. Turn on everything on that draws power except your HHO Gen. With a good amp meter check your alternator output. Find out how much power you have in reserve. Another thing to keep in mind is that they rate alternators for a peak rating (cold). They will only maintain that output for a short time. Even the best alternator will only provede just above 90% of peak amp load as a continual draw after they get hot. Many OEM alternators are not very high quality. For example I have a Nissan Frontier. It has an alternator manufactured by Valeo. It is rated at 130 amps. I have tested it and it will put out 130 amps for only about 2 or 3 minutes. After 10 minutes of max draw it drops to 105 amps and stays there. Mine loses 20% off peak amps hot. I have not tested any others but have been told several times that is normal.

alternator

At 8 volts your battery is discharging. You WILL be left stranded with those conditions it is only a matter of time. I would seriously consider a higher amp alternator. Very high amp alternators 200+ amp are very expensive but you should be able to find a 100 to 120 amp alternator for a reasonable amount of money. Good luck and most of all be careful. I would duplicate those conditions in your driveway. Turn on everything on that draws power except your HHO Gen. With a good amp meter check your alternator output. Find out how much power you have in reserve. Another thing to keep in mind is that they rate alternators for a peak rating (cold). They will only maintain that output for a short time. Even the best alternator will only provede just above 90% of peak amp load as a continual draw after they get hot. Many OEM alternators are not very high quality. For example I have a Nissan Frontier. It has an alternator manufactured by Valeo. It is rated at 130 amps. I have tested it and it will put out 130 amps for only about 2 or 3 minutes. After 10 minutes of max draw it drops to 105 amps and stays there. Mine loses 20% off peak amps hot. I have not tested any others but have been told several times that is normal.
    ive tried to find one, my truck came with an 80 amp alt. it went out one week before i installed my gen. the only one i could get to fit my truck was the 60 amp ( forth alternator i tried ) so im a bit limited. what do you think about installing a 5 watt solar panel to assist the alt. with a charge controller it should recharge the battery every time i stop the engine. i never travel more than 20 miles at one time. do you think this would help me to push a little more amps? im not sure, is hho production at 15 amps enough for a 300 ci engine?