Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody else having exponential heat problems?

brunet Guest

Anybody else having exponential heat problems?

I can't seem to run my cell in my car for more than 20mins until i have to shut it down, as the heat goes up so do the amps. I am not sure how to solve it. This hho business is harder than it seems. I could put in some resistors to try and keep resistance down ? or maybe use a current or voltage limiter of some kind? reostat or poteniometer? Also i've been reading about neutral apltes. How does that work? do you hook them up in series with the electrical power?? how would a nonconductive surface help? Or do you hook the neutrals up in parrallel with the plates?

feefreehho Guest

Less Heat

Check out pwmpower.com or pwmpower on youtube for his tutorial on how to build your own pwm or you can buy one, too. He will explain what a pwm is and how it works.
    feefreehho

brunet Guest
    yea dude, thats getting pretty complicated. Wouldn't a simple variable resistor or reostat work better?

dstew2 Guest
    Neutral plates are isolated from the positive and negative plates. Have you tried a lower concentration of electrolyte to reduce the conductivity therefore lowering the temp?

bagrman Guest

Plates

When you put together your plates you can do this +NNN-nnn+ , this or any combination will work. you need the PMW to control the heat and power going in to the unit. 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a splash of vinegar to keep the plates clean and a cup of alcohol if there is a fear of freezing, per gal. check out zerofossilfuel on youtube, he has a great wealth of ideas, on design of these.

Latr
    Chris

brunet Guest
    yea that PWM is crazy complicated!!!! you need a degree to understand that! lol I tried very little electrolyte. It only lasts maybe 15 or 20 mins longer, but after a while it heats up no matter how much electrolye i start off with. Badically for me 1/2 tablespoon lasted about 20 mins until it was drawing over 60 amps and getting way to hot, you could actually feel the car bogging, seems that for a little civic engine the sweet spot is about 25amps give or take a bit. Then when it tried half a teaspoon it lasted for about 40mins before i had to shut it off.

Why would a reostat or variable resistor not work? Would the amp draw eventually out run the limitation of the reostat/resistor?. Putting in plain resistors as it heats might slow it down but probably won't stabilize it right?.

brunet Guest
    I don't get how you hear about all these poeple throwing cells into there car that work great and theres no mention of heat problems! I seen a guy with a cell twice the size of myne and he never mentioned anything about uncontrolable amp draw with heat.

PWM's are about 60-90$ on ebay, theres gotta be another way. Maybe i could use a little fuel pump with a coiled up stainless steel line to cool the water. I'm going to try the neutral plates in between the plates i already have, I'll see what that does. It will probably just go for longer but eventually get to hot.

I don't seen how neutral plates cut voltage or amps. Can someone explain?

CaptainAwesome Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brunet View Post
    I don't seen how neutral plates cut voltage or amps. Can someone explain?
    I have a hard time understanding this aswell, seems like a waste of good plates to me
    I guess that by increasing the distance between the plates that are actually in use, the resistance in the water increases since the electrons would have to travel further or something like that. If that is the case, then why is a plate needed at all? To slow down the flow of electrons even more?

I'm going to go with a +-+-... design until someone can explain why using neutral plates would increase production. If it gets too hot I suppose the best solution might be to cool it in some clever way.

cpozzer Guest
    At the moment i am trying with 2 gens link toghther in series, the amp draw is just 1,5 and the amount of bubbles is round about the same of one gen drawing 6 amps.

Cheers

CaptainAwesome Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cpozzer View Post
    At the moment i am trying with 2 gens link toghther in series, the amp draw is just 1,5 and the amount of bubbles is round about the same of one gen drawing 6 amps.

Cheers
    Sounds cool! Did you try to measure litres/minute production with something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbjySj-zYw4

I will be putting something like in that video together this weekend and see if I can find differences in production using different plate setups. Guess I will be reporting back here with the result.