Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody else having exponential heat problems?

cpozzer Guest
    ive got the thing to measure the litres per minute, i dont think it produces much, i dont think it will even get to 125ml per minute, the only thing that im intrested at the moment is to try keeping the temp down and work with low amp, ill try adding on gens and see if i can produce more keeping a low draw of amps.

brunet Guest
    My cell is WAY bigger than yours. I have 9 22 GA plates that are 6"X3" big spaced at about 3/8 of an inch. I can put a tiny little pinch, and i mean a pinch, like the size of the end of an eraser on a pencil and it immediatly draws around 15 amps.

My understanding with the neutral plates is that there not physically connected right, but there sort of connected through the electrolyte, not sure which plates would go positive or negative though. We all need some more explaining on this neutral plate thing.

CaptainAwesome Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brunet View Post
    My understanding with the neutral plates is that there not physically connected right, but there sort of connected through the electrolyte, not sure which plates would go positive or negative though. We all need some more explaining on this neutral plate thing.
    yeah I watched this guy do some tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXu4vyGjCXw

It does indeed seem they are not actually neutral even though they aren't connected. The question is if they become + or - I suppose.

brunet Guest
    yea and weather they help with production or heating problems

Amp Draw and Heat

Morning everyone, I also am having heat and Amp Draw issues. Currently, I am running a 13 plate cell in the -+-+ configuration. I am producing 1.25 liters per minute. The main problem is that the cell draws as much amps as I can supply. I have seen it draw upward of 40 amps. I even put my battery charger on the 2 amp setting and it still drew more than 10 from the charger. I may try to place some nylon plates in between the active plates. I have read someplace that the configuration of -nn+nn- works well. I need a way to A. lower the voltage to about 3 volts or B. limit the current w/o having to shut off the circuit. Anyone have any ideas?

AMP and Heat Draw

Ok, I have made adjustments to my cell design. I am currently running 13 plates at 12V drawing 10Amps. The polarity is -NN+NN-NN+NN-. I would have more plates connected but lack of hardware is limiting me at the moment. Production is down for sure. I may be producing .75L per minute, but havent tested it yet.

problem solved mostly

ok, I have created a new cell design. Currently I am running 3 cells each with 5 plates. They are all in the same housing. I have them connected in series with each other. The total voltage applied to the circuit is 13 volts. The three cells are actually reading slightly above 4 volts each. I left them running for 2 hours last night and was still able to put my hand in the electolyte solution w/o it burning me. It was hot, but not painful. I am not sure what the amperage is as my amp meter quit working. I am pretty certain the total amp draw was less than 15 as my pwr supply didnt sound like it was working hard and none of my wires became even warm. the 2 outside cells polarity is -+-+- and the middle cell is +-+-+. There is about 3 inches of space between each cell. I have not measured the production yet as I only had the cells placed in the solution in a experimental manner. The production looks pretty good. I am betting on about a liter per minute. Will post again as I get do more testing.

I tried a 4 plate 4 cell design. The 4 cells were wired in series. The results were good, but the heat in the enclosure was pretty high. I believe it would be better to run with 2 enclosures with all cells in series. Each individual cell doesnt produce as much as a single cell would, but the voltage draw across the cell is much less and therefor less heat is ceated. I have had decent luck running 3 cells in series in a single enclosure, I was able to keep pwr applied with the enclosure opened for about 2 hours. I am sure with the lid on the enclosure, heat would have built up faster. I have purchase a small radiator, I am going to try some active cooling.

h-power Guest

I solved the heat problem....

...by adding a small water pump and a small radiator to the system. When the main relay turns on the electrolyzer it also turns on the water pump. The down side of this is that the system takes longer to heat up but it never overheats. I'm thinking of adding a temp switch that will delay the start of the pump until 100 degrees is acquired

Yes, I considered a switch, but I think I am going to install a manual switch to controll the pump. I purchased a small fuel pump to circulate the eletrolyte through the system. The pump moves the water pretty slowly which I feel is good. I dont want the hydrogen or oxygen to be circulated, just the liquid. Also, I am considering an inline filter.