Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody else having exponential heat problems?

Ronjinsan Guest
    I pretty much solved my heat problems for now by switching to Sodium Hydroxide in pure water. After a few experiments I found that I could replace my 2 teaspoons of Baking powder with a tiny pinch of Hydroxide and get the same results but much cooler. I had a thermostatically controlled pump connected to a copper pipe coil and also an adjustable speed fan! Now I have only the fan running and it stays comfortably at around 60 to 70 degrees C. Oh I forgot, this is on a 7 plate cell +NN-NN+. I have done 600kms on the same water so far, with a top up of plain pure water now and again. The water seems to condition itself after about 100Kms.. Best of luck all!

brunet Guest
    what are your MPG gains? type of car?

My understanding is that the neutral plates are also stainless steel but not directly connected to power.

Where do you get the hydroxide stuff?? does home depot have it? i seems it lowers the heat, hmmm but why?

h-power Guest

My fix

I use 8 plates, 4 anode 4 cathode and they are separated by 1/8". I use 1tsp of baking soda to 1 gallon of distilled water. The temp and amps climb unless some kind of cooling system is employed. I added a small water pump and radiator to the system which cured the overheating and keeps the amps at a reasonable level. I've got many of them out on the street and they work just fine.

brunet Guest
    whats your mpg gains?? What kind of pump and where did you get it?? are you just using a old heater core for a Rad? and where is it mounted? do you have a thermal switched wires to a fan? sorry lots of questions lol

I have another question for everyone. Has anyone had positive results from those O2 sensor extenders?

Heat problems solved.

I currently run a 16 plate system. Anode and Cathode are equal. I also am using a small radiator and a 35$ fuel pump to circulate the electrolyte. The temp so far hasn’t gotten above 120 Degrees Fahrenheit. My amp Draw is good as well. My enclosure is an 8" X 8" X 5" CPVC box. My cells are set up on each side of the box with 4 plates each. The cells are set up in 2 pairs with each pair run in series. Each cell has about 7 volts running across them. I have yet to measure production, but I am certain it is at least a liter per minute as it is producing a continuous stream of bubbles in a water bottle. I wish I had a video camera. Perhaps I can photograph the rig to share with everyone.

I have tested the unit mentioned above. The first test, the unit created about 2.25 liters per minute, but I was pulling 30 amps. Thats too much for my taste. I diluted my electrolyte down slightly. My second test put about 1.5 liters per minute at 15 amps. The electrolyte temp was at 106°F. I left it running for quite some time and the temp never exceeded 110°F. I believe I will keep this mixture for a while and see how it works out. I am running about 1.5 Tea spoon per gallon of Sodium Hydroxide.

Quote Originally Posted by brunet View Post
    what are your MPG gains? type of car?

My understanding is that the neutral plates are also stainless steel but not directly connected to power.

Where do you get the hydroxide stuff?? does home depot have it? i seems it lowers the heat, hmmm but why?
    Quote Originally Posted by brunet View Post
    whats your mpg gains?? What kind of pump and where did you get it?? are you just using a old heater core for a Rad? and where is it mounted? do you have a thermal switched wires to a fan? sorry lots of questions lol

I have another question for everyone. Has anyone had positive results from those O2 sensor extenders?
    I am sure that you should use the same material for your neutral plates as you are using for your anode and cathode. Dissimilar metals could cause problems.

The Sodium Hydroxide can be purchased at Lowes and Home Depot. It is commonly used as a drain cleaner. It is also called Caustic Soda. The brand I use is made by Roebic, its call Crystal Drain Opener. 2Lbs cost about $5.
    I am using a small Fuel pump that I purchased for $35 from the auto parts store, and a small transmission cooler. Currently I dont have the generator mounted in my vehicle. I plan to do that today.

My generator uses 4 cells with 4 plates each. I dont use neutral plates. I have not seen the benefit of using neutral plates so far. I did try some, but only noticed a lack of production.

The cells are wired in parallel pairs. The two pairs are wired in series. I put in about 13ish volts and each cell has about 7 volts running accross them. I have experimented running all cells in parallel an running them all in series. I found that running them in parallel and in series produced the best.

Sparkie Guest

15A worked for me.

G'day everybody

I have just finished testing my stainless steel block in tap water(about 3/4L and baking soda.

I added about a tea spoon of baking soda and ran it for just over an hour in an open container. At the end of the hour my solution was getting very warm. I could still stick my finger in it and hold it there but it was getting up there for heat.
    The highest the amps got up to was 15A. very little water lost and what I thought was good production of hydrogen.
    I haven't made a measuring device yet but I will
    my configuration on the block is +nnn-nnn+ 9 pieces of 316 stainless at 2.5 inches by 5.5 inches. Made out of 1mm thick positive poles and 1mm thick negative poles. The neutral plates are 2mm thick 316 stainless.The spacings are 1mm apart. Basically a zip tie between the plates like someone suggested. I managed to buy some 40mm Nylon 3/16 inch nuts and washers which I fixed three thereof up the middle of the plates. Connecting that to the supply connectors I used 1/4 inch stainless threaded rod and bent it to go through the lid of whatever container I plan to use.
    So far so good. wish me luck I'm like a little kid in a candy store!

Sparkie

Cell

Nice sparkie, I think it should work out fine. During my own test I found that I could stick my hand in 140 degree water and not have pain. Not sure if that helps you any. I purchased a digital BBQ grill thermometer that I used for checking the temp. It looks like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKT1PE?...0&linkCode=asn
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

xtremerydz Guest
    where can you find the box you are using for your cell?