Thread: Shrink wrap and plastic plates

dougie175 Guest

Shrink wrap and plastic plates

I notice some plate assemblys are fully covered with shrink wrap, and others have a plastic plate either side. Which of these designs is better?

Sorry if this question has been answered many times Im very new to the hydrogen game and just trying to make the best setup possible first time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
    I notice some plate assemblys are fully covered with shrink wrap, and others have a plastic plate either side. Which of these designs is better?

Sorry if this question has been answered many times Im very new to the hydrogen game and just trying to make the best setup possible first time.

Thanks
    As long as the electrical current is blocked on the edges, it doesn't really matter.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Just speaking from my experience... I have a wet cell Gas4Free design. (don't waste your money on the e-book). After a couple of tanks of gas I disassembled it and shrink wrapped the electrode assembly with rc model airplane wing covering. The first thing I noticed was that the amps dropped by half, 15 amps to around 7. Consequently, gas production dropped as well. I bumped the current up back to 15 and observed massive foam production. So much foam that it was going through my bubbler and into the intake hose. Since I have no interest in having my engine ingest NaOH, I disabled the system and am building a dry cell.

The main difference between a wet and dry cell is: The electrode assembly is submerged in a wet cell requiring the electrode assembly to be wrapped to minimize current loss. In a dry cell the electrodes are sandwiched between two endplates with gaskets in between each plate. The electrolyte is encapsulated between the plates and gaskets. Since there is no electrolyte at the plate edges, there is no current loss there.
    Red Rat

Gary Diamond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post

Thanks
    dougie 175, make a Amoeba dry cell, do it correct the first time

Here is what i see as the best design out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savkds42IC4

It makes one liter of HHO gas in 34 seconds and draws 23 amps of current
    From what i have been reading no one else

has even come that close, why re-invent the wheel, plus its very easy to built. I should have my copy of the cell up in a

few days, if you want to know more let me know and i will post my first hand Knowledge on it.

Gary Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diamond View Post
    dougie 175, make a Amoeba dry cell, do it correct the first time

Here is what i see as the best design out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savkds42IC4

It makes one liter of HHO gas in 34 seconds and draws 23 amps of current
    From what i have been reading no one else

has even come that close, why re-invent the wheel, plus its very easy to built. I should have my copy of the cell up in a

few days, if you want to know more let me know and i will post my first hand Knowledge on it.

Gary Diamond
    Gary, Take some time and research everything you can. I am not suggesting that my design is better than anyone's. I am saying that without a doubt if I had not gone in to this technology like a bull in a china shop I would have saved thousands. Four of months ago I threw a cell in the trash that I spent 2 thousand dollars building not counting labor. I went headlong into an open bath design with 120 stainless plates thinking I would save the world. The only problem was that I did not spend enough time researching. I could not even save the plates because of the amount of holes I had made in them. There is much information here that can help. If you do copy Stu's cell design you will make a very good cell. Just make sure before you spend your money.

Larry

Question

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Gary, Take some time and research everything you can. I am not suggesting that my design is better than anyone's. I am saying that without a doubt if I had not gone in to this technology like a bull in a china shop I would have saved thousands. Four of months ago I threw a cell in the trash that I spent 2 thousand dollars building not counting labor. I went headlong into an open bath design with 120 stainless plates thinking I would save the world. The only problem was that I did not spend enough time researching. I could not even save the plates because of the amount of holes I had made in them. There is much information here that can help. If you do copy Stu's cell design you will make a very good cell. Just make sure before you spend your money.

Larry
    Larry,

Smack is showing 9 MMW.

"The only problem was that I did not spend enough time researching."

By your own suggestion, scrap those plates and go for higher MMW ala Smack.

BTW I can make the Amoeba Cell do a 7.47 MMW run.

Amoeba Cell - Breaking in nicely. 7.47 MMW 83 Watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YxLDcfQ7Q

MMW is not the one and only performance measure.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Larry,

Smack is showing 9 MMW.

By your own suggestion, scrap those plates and go for higher MMW ala Smack.

BTW I can make the Amoeba Cell do a 7.47 MMW run.

Amoeba Cell - Breaking in nicely. 7.47 MMW 83 Watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YxLDcfQ7Q

MMW is not the one and only performance measure.

BoyntonStu

Stu i will put money on yours is more efficient .

i reckon the smack is producing steam !!
    my reason for this assumption is.....
    the smack does not circulate the electrolyte so his plates will run hotter than yours, you have a cooling effect with the fluid circulation so less steam

just me thinking out loud

I have done lots of testing and experimented with many set-ups. My money says no one is getting 9 MMW of pure HHO gas. I simply do not beleive that is possible. I have watched many tests where people are claiming ultra high MMW's. They are all missing necessary data to validate the claims. I am not saying that they are trying to deceive just that they do not have access to the necessary test equipment. They are posting what they beleive are genuine test results. They really are producing those high volumes of something. But I beleive water vapor and steam can really skew results as well as gas temps.

Eli87 Guest
    Is this recommendation on this thread to just not even think about trying to improve your bath cell, just scrap it and build a dry cell?

I have just built a bath cell, it seemed slightly cheaper to get into for a novice. I am looking into building a dry cell but in the meantime, I want to keep testing and improving my bath cell. I am interested in whether I should wrap it, and what I should wrap it in. I am seeing quite a few of them wrapped out there.

Has anyone had a better, or different experience then this fellow?

Quote Originally Posted by redrat100 View Post
    Just speaking from my experience... I have a wet cell Gas4Free design. (don't waste your money on the e-book). After a couple of tanks of gas I disassembled it and shrink wrapped the electrode assembly with rc model airplane wing covering. The first thing I noticed was that the amps dropped by half, 15 amps to around 7. Consequently, gas production dropped as well. I bumped the current up back to 15 and observed massive foam production. So much foam that it was going through my bubbler and into the intake hose. Since I have no interest in having my engine ingest NaOH, I disabled the system and am building a dry cell.
    Thanks,

-Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Eli87 View Post
    Is this recommendation ... build a dry cell?
    Has anyone had a better, or different experience then this fellow?
    Thanks,
    -Eli
    Yes. Many people have had a better experience than I have. Read up on what I have done in the general forum here titled Gas4Free. In short, I abandoned a bad design to start over. I followed the advice of the mentors here. After all, they are kind enough to give their time to us to keep us safe and from re-inventing the wheel. Also, the way I see it, why should I throw good money into a design the gives mediocre results at best when I can start over and build something that gives much better results for about the same cost. See my new thread on my dry cell in the general forum here titled Mini Lowes Dry Cell.
    Red Rat