Thread: 51 Plymoth Town & Country

51 Plymoth Town & Country

I have this old 51 that I am in the process of restoring. My brother ask me the other day if I was planning on putting in an HHO system. I told him I hadn't given it much thought, but now that I have it in the foremost part of my brain... I started thinking about what is different with this car from the more modern cars. One of the major differences is that it requires the older leaded fuel. I am sure that no one here under the age of 30 even remembers this kind of fuel. My question is: has anybody played with HHO on an older Leaded fuelled car? Or am I about to become the forums guinea pig for this?

Note that I am probably many months from making this vehicle road worthy yet.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

I've always thought that it would be cool to make an old car a "hybrid". I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you are still adding lead to your gasoline then I would think that doing the same while it's a hydrid would be fine. I've seen a video of a smack design on a 60's car with the piping into the car intake.
    However if your car is a 6 volt instead of 12V your hho generator may have to be configured differently.

Quote Originally Posted by velorossa22 View Post
    I've always thought that it would be cool to make an old car a "hybrid". I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you are still adding lead to your gasoline then I would think that doing the same while it's a hydrid would be fine. I've seen a video of a smack design on a 60's car with the piping into the car intake.
    However if your car is a 6 volt instead of 12V your hho generator may have to be configured differently.
    If I decide to do this, I would keep the HHO separate from the charging system. Probably solar power charging of batteries or something. This vehicle is not a daily driver.

The idea behind the lead is to provide a lubrication to the high temperature parts of the engine. (valves mostly) I am not sure how the HHO would affect that process though. It makes for a real expensive failure if it doesn't work.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

screwballl Guest
    HHO in a carburetor is cause for problems... you will need to keep the floats, jets and everything else cleaned up every oil change...