Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what to look for when buying DC Ammeter

ok thanks larry for you help
    ________
    How to roll a joint

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Stu,

If you recall, I tried your shunt setup with my last test cell but found that the readings bumped up and down a lot over a wide range. When I double checked with my meters built in amp function that issue stopped.

Not sure what caused that.
    Russ,

Sorry that happened to you.

Watch my videos, the Amps do not vary more than 0.1A in any of them.

I have checked the accuracy several times.

There is no technical reason (other than w minimum temperature effect), why a #10 copper wire shunt would not equal any other shunt's performance.

Strange things are always possible.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Russ,

Sorry that happened to you.

Watch my videos, the Amps do not vary more than 0.1A in any of them.

I have checked the accuracy several times.

There is no technical reason (other than w minimum temperature effect), why a #10 copper wire shunt would not equal any other shunt's performance.

Strange things are always possible.

BoyntonStu
    Stu, I think the amp bouncing Russ was seeing is because his cell was doing exactly what mine is right now. With the large plate stack and the large volume of gas it is hard to keep the electrolite level steady. As the electrolite level constantly raises and lowers so will the amp draw. I am not certain just guessing.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Stu, I think the amp bouncing Russ was seeing is because his cell was doing exactly what mine is right now. With the large plate stack and the large volume of gas it is hard to keep the electrolite level steady. As the electrolite level constantly raises and lowers so will the amp draw. I am not certain just guessing.

Larry
    Larry,

That was with the small test cell, who knows, perhaps the copper wire was damaged in some way.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Does anyone know where I can get an amp meter to mount on my vehicle that goes higher than 60 amps and won't break my wallet too much.The 60 amp one I use now was about $38 at Napa.

Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get an amp meter to mount on my vehicle that goes higher than 60 amps and won't break my wallet too much.The 60 amp one I use now was about $38 at Napa.
    How about using one of these mv LCD meters with a shunt?

http://www.futurlec.com/Panel_Meters.shtml

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    How about using one of these mv LCD meters with a shunt?

http://www.futurlec.com/Panel_Meters.shtml

Russ.
    Russ I looked at the site and I don't quite follow what you mean.Bear in mind the electricians hat I own is size small if you know what I mean.

meter

i purchaced a 30 amp meter from ( the scooter store ) and it will read 20-21 amps before my cell blows a 15 amp fuse, i have a 50 amp from harbor freight tools, but its hard to read ( 25 amp increments ). im still looking

Gary Diamond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    i purchaced a 30 amp meter from ( the scooter store ) and it will read 20-21 amps before my cell blows a 15 amp fuse, i have a 50 amp from harbor freight tools, but its hard to read ( 25 amp increments ). im still looking
    What kind of fuse are you using? Is it a slow blow type? Is your wire large enough? Sure you can have a crapy meter, why not test it, use a known load with a known source, IF YOU USE a battery charger is not a known source!

A battery charger has a very high AC 60 ripple on it, God only knows what that will do for your reading. When you use a battery with a charger the battery becomes a big Cap. which will clean up the AC ripple.

SO A BATTERY CHARGER ALONE, IS A WORTHLESS THING, WHY NOT BUILT THE POWER SUPPLY FROM FREE COMPUTERS AS STU POINTED OUT.

fuse

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diamond View Post
    What kind of fuse are you using? Is it a slow blow type? Is your wire large enough? Sure you can have a crapy meter, why not test it, use a known load with a known source, IF YOU USE a battery charger is not a known source!

A battery charger has a very high AC 60 ripple on it, God only knows what that will do for your reading. When you use a battery with a charger the battery becomes a big Cap. which will clean up the AC ripple.

SO A BATTERY CHARGER ALONE, IS A WORTHLESS THING, WHY NOT BUILT THE POWER SUPPLY FROM FREE COMPUTERS AS STU POINTED OUT.
    i am using an inline 10 gauge wire fuse holder with a 15 amp automotive fuse not the maxi fuse. i think the meter is junk, it is consistant though. consistantly 5 - 6 amps too high lol