what to avoid in specs
    good sites to buy a meter from?
    ________
    Wellbutrin Pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by chitown1234 View Post
    also
    what to avoid in specs
    good sites to buy a meter from?
    In my mind, you aren't worried about accuracy to 5 nines. Go for price and don't worry about it.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

I buy them from a company called Futurlec. Google it and you will find the site. Good accuracy and about $9.00 each.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I buy them from a company called Futurlec. Google it and you will find the site. Good accuracy and about $9.00 each.
    Larry,

In one of your videos you mention a cheap clamp on ammeter you have? How much and where for that one?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Larry,

In one of your videos you mention a cheap clamp on ammeter you have? How much and where for that one?
    The cheap clamp meter that I have was $125.00. It does a nice job of measuring volts and Ohms. I will not even try it any longer with amps it is way off. My test results would look great but I would not only be deceiving everyone else I would be deceiving myself. Clamp meters that do a good job with all phases of high amp measuring are expensive. I have found that inexpensive panel meters with a shunt are very accurate but getting a good multi meter to be accurate and also measure the number of amps we use is practically impossible. The Fluke that I use is very very accurate but will set you back close to $400.00. If you or anyone wants accurate readings my best advice is to go with panel meters.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    The cheap clamp meter that I have was $125.00. It does a nice job of measuring volts and Ohms. I will not even try it any longer with amps it is way off. My test results would look great but I would not only be deceiving everyone else I would be deceiving myself. Clamp meters that do a good job with all phases of high amp measuring are expensive. I have found that inexpensive panel meters with a shunt are very accurate but getting a good multi meter to be accurate and also measure the number of amps we use is practically impossible. The Fluke that I use is very very accurate but will set you back close to $400.00. If you or anyone wants accurate readings my best advice is to go with panel meters.
    "The cheap clamp meter that I have was $125.00. "

In my book, $125 ain't cheap.

Cheap is a $2.99 mulitimeter from Harbor Freight and a 14" length of #10 magic copper wire.

This combination is accurate to within 3%-5% at currents up to about 40 Amps or so. That is a very CHEAP and accurate way to measure DC Amps.

See my previous posts on the #10 magic wire.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post

Cheap is a $2.99 mulitimeter from Harbor Freight and a 14" length of #10 magic copper wire.

This combination is accurate to within 3%-5% at currents up to about 40 Amps or so. That is a very CHEAP and accurate way to measure DC Amps.

BoyntonStu
    I totally agree that $125.00 is not cheap but for a Clamp meter that will measure high amps it is as cheap as it they come cheap. Clamp meters are much more than multi meters that are not designed for high amps. That is why I recommended panel meters. They are cheap and accurate and can be mounted in a project box in the vehicle.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post

BoyntonStu
    Stu,

If you recall, I tried your shunt setup with my last test cell but found that the readings bumped up and down a lot over a wide range. When I double checked with my meters built in amp function that issue stopped.

Not sure what caused that.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

panel meters may be the best way to go is there a way to see what the amps out put is from the cars alt with it so i can put the right fuse in my set up
    ________
    The Legend Condos Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by chitown1234 View Post
    panel meters may be the best way to go is there a way to see what the amps out put is from the cars alt with it so i can put the right fuse in my set up
    I am not sure that I completely understand your question.

If you want to know the maximum output of the alternator then the only way you will be able to find out is to call the parts department of a dealership that sells your type of vehicle. Just keep in mind that the amperage rating they quote will be MAX amp draw. Most alternators will not sustain that output for more than a few minutes. Once they get hot your output will fall 10 to 20 percent.

If you want to find out the maximum available amperage you could use in your HHO Device that is quite a bit harder. First you need to find out your alternator capacity. Hot load not peak. Then you do need access to a good accurate amp meter of some kind. Then with everything on that you can turn on hopefully including a partially discharged battery and measure the output of the alternator and subtract that from Max hot load. Then do not use all of the available current left. You simply do not want to push the limit too close. You will find yourself stranded or worse. Play it safe when you calculate how much current you can use. Most vehicles can handle 15 amps stock many can handle much more.

Hope this helps but what you are trying to do is hard to do.

Larry