Thread: Single EFIE?

jcbarton Guest

Single EFIE?

I am looking to purchase single EFIE's and MAP sensor enhancers. Anybody know anyone on this forum? I have only seen the dual EFIE's from shane. thanks

EddieRock Guest
    You can get a Single EFIE from here. They have a single EFIE Basic model for $54. The one for the link above is around $80

I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbarton View Post
    I am looking to purchase single EFIE's and MAP sensor enhancers. Anybody know anyone on this forum? I have only seen the dual EFIE's from shane. thanks

i get my efies from eagle labs. they do good work and have alot of other stuff. its not much to look at but it does its job and comes with full instructions.
    link
    http://waterasfuel.com/fuelsav/efie.html

Efie

My EFIE's cost a little more but they work for single or dual 02 sensors, standard 1v or Wideband and have a digital display(no need for voltage testers)

http://myhhohybrid.com/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by jcbarton View Post
    I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but use extreme caution if you use a MAP/MAF enhancer. By tricking the ECM into thinking you're running a lesser load, you could easily lean out your mixture too much. This could quickly and easily burn a valve or melt a piston. The installation of an EGT gauge is highly recommended.
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Lean does not always mean hot.

Lean mixtures do not mean burned valves, if you are referring to a lambda of 1. Burnt valves are the result of other factors that add excessive heat, or the running of the engine under high loads for long periods. Lean air fuel ratios (A/F) only see a slight rise in temperature during the 15:1 to 18:1 range due to nitrogen/oxygen interaction and the resulting exothermic release. After that, temperatures DECREASE.

Chrysler lean burn systems of the 70's and 80's ran 18:1 to 20:1.

Honda lean burn engines run at 22:1.

Direct injection engines run as high as 30:1.

Diesels run as high as 100:1.

Passed the 14.7:1 gasoline equivalency, lean means less . . . heat of combustion, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    Lean air fuel ratios (A/F) only see a slight rise in temperature during the 15:1 to 18:1 range due to nitrogen/oxygen interaction and the resulting exothermic release. After that, temperatures DECREASE.
    Never heard this before.

If my lean is 20:1 my temp will be down, but a load with a 20:1 can bring it up high enough to damage pistons & valves? If so, a EGT is still a good investment right?
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."

Roland,
    I wouldn't even think about running my reactor & everything else involved without one.
    They're cheap & can be helpful. I used to use a MAF enhancer until one night I saw my exhaust temp. jump up 400 deg..
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

NOx

Roland,

Look up NOx formation in google and you will find a plethora of links to peruse. Most Jr College Libraries have tech books that chart and discuss this phenomenon in emissions course work.

The basic premise is that NOx forms when excess oxygen is available during high temperature and with enough time latency for formation to occur.

For automotive applications, this means a very rich (12:1) A/F ratio in a gasoline SI engine will have very little excess oxygen to form NOx even though the temperature is high enough (2300 C for start of formation of NOx) because the C and H compounds are more reactive than the N. As combustion occurs closer to lambda 1 (14.7:1) there are more opportunities for N to compete for the available O. As combustion moves to the leaner regimes, there is now an excess of O for N to react with as well as sufficient heat. NOx now rapidly forms, but the resultant compound has released energy in it's oxidation ( slight in comparison to C and H oxidation, but still a positive ). NOx formation is now at it's peak, but as A/F ratios continue leaner, there comes a point where the lack of oxidation energy from the C and H result in enough of a temperature drop to prevent the easy formation of NOx. Moving past the 18:1 ratio, and NOx rapidly diminishes.

The above discussion assumes CONSTANT LOADING of air charge. Of course if you open the throttle and allow a greater mass of air and fuel in, you will increase your combustion temperature, and this increase may damage your valves at some point. If you are running superchargers, the damage may occur in seconds.

Ihazelton's advice is a good one for everyone working on HHO vehicle systems - get an EGT indicator.