Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWM for less heat in your cell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    feefreehho Guest

PWM for less heat in your cell

Check out pwmpower.com for free help on how to build your own pwm unit. These units can change the frequency, voltage, etc. of the power to your hho cell. This will allow more HHO production with less heat build-up. Heat is your enemy. Search pwmpower on youtube.com and check out his videos that will show you step by step how to build your own. He has gone out of his way to help those that have little money build their own.
    He also sells PWMs for a very reasonable price. If you are lookntfnd HHO cells, check his channel for references.

CHRISTOPHER Guest

NO

I hate to bring bad news but i have built that pwm 50amp and have run it on 4 cells you do not get more production at all. The more you tern it down the less hho you get. have built about 5 different types and all have same results great controle over the gas but checked through the whole rang and there is no diff in production but it does bring the curent down so the cell will not heat up as fast but will still heat up, unless you run it at 1.45v and then you production is much less but you get no heat. Anything over that will get hoter by the minute.

If you now of the secret then plz tell i would love to now have done lots of tests on this pwm and others claiming to give you better production and have still to find its worth other than beeing a very good controler for the gas output.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Yeah I also want to try one but I havent seen any meaningful results yet! Anybody got a GOOD pwm going that has the right effect? In fact if you need proof try going here!

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Proje...gen/H-Cell.htm

Fishhook Guest

pwm purpose

I am in the process of buying/building/installing my first hho unit. If I am understanding this process, the pwm is added only to control heat?
    As to the heat, what if the water was circulated through some sort of heat sink or cooler? For you experienced folk, please humor what I am sure are ignorant questions. I will have quite a few over the next couple of days.

bagrman Guest

Not pwmpower.com

Sorry to say that pwmpower can't keep up. I ordered mine a month ago and nothing yet. the price went from 139 to 189 since then.
    Latr

mec1995 Guest

Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by bagrman View Post
    Sorry to say that pwmpower can't keep up. I ordered mine a month ago and nothing yet. the price went from 139 to 189 since then.
    Latr
    $189??? That's crazy man. Build your own or have someone do it for you.
    Parts for a pwm circuit cost maybe $15 buck if you use the one with the LM324N op-amp and the power mosfet.

HHO King Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bagrman View Post
    Latr

These are just as nice as the ones at pwmpower ut less expensive.

http://www.extremehho.com

An alternative to PWM

I was frustrated with the pwm's so I referred to ohms law for an alternative. The point of using a pwm is to limit/control the current and control thermal runaway, correct? Thermal runaway happens when the cell voltage is above 2+-vdc (excess vdc creates heat)-->heat goes up-->current goes up-->heat goes up-->etc...This is basically a water heater. Ohms law dictates to have a fixed current you need a fixed resistance & voltage. We already have a steady voltage supply; 14.7vdc from the alternator. Cell resistance varies based on heat, cell design and electrolyte type & amount. The cell can also have fixed resistance. So how to "fix" the current without a pwm? I'm using a 1 ohm 225w resistor in series with the cell. Eagle research's Hyzor manual had a one line reference to putting a brute force cell in line with a existing load; ie Lights, heater, etc. Why not create your own load, you're doing that anyway with the cell. With a adj. 1 ohm resistor set to .7 ohms and the cell (parallel plates) electrolyte maximized, I get @ 14 amps "fixed". I could short the cell out and the current would never runaway. The voltage drop at the resistor is @10.5 vdc. This leaves @ 4 vdc at the cell. Depending on the cell, one of my cells run @ 3 vdc. 3 vdc at 14amps = 42 watts (total watts used from alternator = 205) The cell has never heated up (ambient cooling) and I get the same current under all conditions, so far. Current makes HHO, correct? It sure is a heck of a lot simpler and cheaper. The resistor can also be used as a heater for the cell; that's one of my future endeavors. Instead of 7 plates in series to get the desired 2+- vdc, you can use as much plate surface area as you can cram into the cell case and maintain the base current at all plates. Works for me. I still need to build a gas volume measurer thingy from old pop bottles to quantify my efficiency (mmw). Any questions?

Almost forgot, most 1 ohm power resistors are under $20 from Newark.com (compare to a pwm price). I also hooked in parallel a 1 ohm and 5 ohm resistors to get a .8 ohm "controller". You could also try two 1 ohmers in parallel = .5 ohms + .3 ohms of the cell = .8 ohms and @ 18amps. The cell volts go to @ 5 vdc with this config, but at least the cell might maintain a little heat for better efficiency.

bagrman Guest
    Fishhook The PWM will allow you to tweek the frequency of the power coming in and that is where the savings in heat and greater gas output comes from. between 42 -43 hrtz is exposed to be the sweet spot.

Latr