Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PWM for less heat in your cell

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I was talking to a friend about that exact thing yesterday.

how do you ck volume?
    here we tried......Anyone near Tempe,AZ? that's where this went down.

I'm on the West side of town(El Mirage).

scottyhho Guest

How about a simple cooling system?

I have completed a nice sized generator set. i have a 4inch pvc container with six SS 5/16 bolts with SS tubes over the bolts with holes in the tubes. i've also included a 2 inch pvc bubbler and a small inline flash suppressor. it works really great (out of the car) but like everyone else, heat is an issue. i have considered a simple way of "pumping" my water through copper pipes up in front of my radiator and then back into the generator. Do you think it would help?? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhho View Post
    I have completed a nice sized generator set. i have a 4inch pvc container with six SS 5/16 bolts with SS tubes over the bolts with holes in the tubes. i've also included a 2 inch pvc bubbler and a small inline flash suppressor. it works really great (out of the car) but like everyone else, heat is an issue. i have considered a simple way of "pumping" my water through copper pipes up in front of my radiator and then back into the generator. Do you think it would help?? Thanks!!!
    It will work as long as you dont use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as your electrolyte. You also need a pump that can handle heat. I found a pump at Harbor Frieght for $27 that has a stainless steel housing. The only problem with it is noise. Its rather loud, so I only use it for short periods of time.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

pwm?

I built a pwm that would go from 1% to 99%, 20 hz to 200,000 hz. I played with that thing for about 4 hours, outputting every concievable waveform, watching on my oscilloscope.

My conclusion is there is no "sweet spot" and the only use for pwm is to limit power, and output generation.

I can limit power a boat load cheaper by changing the amount of potassium hydroxide in the electrolyte.

HHO works, pwm not so much.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    I built a pwm that would go from 1% to 99%, 20 hz to 200,000 hz. I played with that thing for about 4 hours, outputting every concievable waveform, watching on my oscilloscope.

My conclusion is there is no "sweet spot" and the only use for pwm is to limit power, and output generation.

I can limit power a boat load cheaper by changing the amount of potassium hydroxide in the electrolyte.

HHO works, pwm not so much.
    I completely agree with you. A pwm is only good to limit power and gas production.

The ammount of chemicals used to make the electrolyte is a good way to manage temperature, but just as the PWM, it will also affect the ammount of gas produced. One alternative that I am experimenting with right now is the ammount of electrolyte my cell can hold.

By keeping a desirable electrolyte mixture and not using a PWM, I am able to produce a desirable ammount of gas. By increasing the volume of water, the overall temp will go down. Right now, the cell I am working on is a polycarbonate box able to hold UP TO 1 3/4 of a gallon. Great for the bench testing, but after I find the magic combination of electrolyte ratio to water volume, I may need to alter the overall form factor of the cell so I can install it in my vehicles.

I will post pix and info when its complete.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Yea brother

Computerclinic,
    My conclusions also. Plus you aren't wasting energy and money on electronics. I am a BSEE, and I don't use electronics to generate hho.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    The ammount of chemicals used to make the electrolyte is a good way to manage temperature, but just as the PWM, it will also affect the ammount of gas produced. One alternative that I am experimenting with right now is the ammount of electrolyte my cell can hold.

By keeping a desirable electrolyte mixture and not using a PWM, I am able to produce a desirable ammount of gas. By increasing the volume of water, the overall temp will go down. Right now, the cell I am working on is a polycarbonate box able to hold UP TO 1 3/4 of a gallon. Great for the bench testing, but after I find the magic combination of electrolyte ratio to water volume, I may need to alter the overall form factor of the cell so I can install it in my vehicles.

I will post pix and info when its complete.
    Can you show us a pix of your electrolyzer?

I will post pix and detailed drawings to show all dimensions when it is completed. Right now I am only working with one good hand. It will likely be about a week before I can get back into the shop, right now its even difficult for me to type as I have 4 jammed fingers and a broken rib.

Nothing fancy, just a box that can accomodate 1 3/4 gal. and my plates. I have been toying with the idea of a curved C shaped top to allow for the best escape flow into the outlet tube. Not sure how I will pull that one off, but it will be my next experiment after working out the prime volume of electrolyte for good temps.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

HomeGrown Guest
    Does a PWM have the capability of producing MORE HHO than running a cell wide-open hooked directly up to a car battery? I'm happy with my cells output running direct, but of course this was just to test the cell, and now I'm looking for a PWM. I'd be disappointed if the PWM drastically cuts production.

EDIT: I posted before I read all the way thru this thread, which answered my question. Looks like I'll save money, time, and agrivation and not fall into the PWM trap. I've got enough time invested in my cells, so I'll move on without the PWM. Glad I joined this forum, this alone is valuable info to me. Thanks for sharing your experience guys!