Thread: o2 sensor extender and MAP enhancer

o2 sensor extender and MAP enhancer

Hi I was going to install a MAP enhancer on my 96 subaru. I noticed that people are saying that the increased oxygen in the system make the check engine light come on. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a o2 sensor extender on the bank 1 o2 sensor in addition to the MAP enhancer? If no one has I'll try it out and see how it works and see if the check engine light still comes on. But I guess I won't bother if some one has already tried this. I plan on getting EFIE but I have the other 2 available now so I was thinking of trying.

bigjim56 Guest
    vel,

If the map sensor works correctly, that would eliminate the need for the more costly EFIE. Using the map sensor also eliminates the need for the O2 sensor extendor, though I'm sure there are lots of people here that are using both.

Also, if the check engine light comes on (mine has several times) it can be reset by pulling the cables on your battery, short them to each other w/screwdriver to ensure computer zeros. Wait 5 minutes or so, then reinstall. This resets mine. Just make sure you have the code for the radio to reset, otherwise no tunes. It's a security coded radio to discourage theft.

Hope this helps...
    bigjim56

I'm sure that different vehicles react differently, but on my Ram, for example, adjusting the MAP sensor without having any kind of O2 sensor mod just results in the fuel trims becoming larger as the O2's compensate for the leaner mixture they see.

My personal recommendation would be to start at the O2 sensors, you can even build your own 'poor mans EFIE' very cheaply from a couple of Radio Shack parts if you don't want the expense of a full blow EFIE.

2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO