Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to all the success stories?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I also believe that some are getting gains with smaller outputs due to the fact that their cells are less efficient and providing a significant amount of water vapour to the intake. Naturally, this will also increase power. The more efficient generators that are putting out higher LPM's should, hopefully, produce less water vapour.

Makes a good case for accompanying HHO with a separate water injection system.
    If water vapor is a positive additive, why not use less than 7 cells per 14 V and make some steam?

Why do it separately?

BTW If what you said is correct, then HHO (water) really works!:>)

Air restriction definitely increase MPG about the percent HHO is claimed to do.

28 tO 31-33 in my 2001 ZX2. I am 100% certain after running that way for 1,000 miles.

BoyntonStu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    If water vapor is a positive additive, why not use less than 7 cells per 14 V and make some steam?

Why do it separately?

BTW If what you said is correct, then HHO (water) really works!:>)

Air restriction definitely increase MPG about the percent HHO is claimed to do.

28 tO 31-33 in my 2001 ZX2. I am 100% certain after running that way for 1,000 miles.

BoyntonStu
    I don't see any issues with creating steam with the HHO, however, we know from experience that the vapour carries KOH/NaOH with it which is bad for our aluminum parts.

Additionally, adding a methanol or denatured alcohol to the water for injection in a 50/50 ratio apparently has further benefits.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I don't see any issues with creating steam with the HHO, however, we know from experience that the vapour carries KOH/NaOH with it which is bad for our aluminum parts.

Additionally, adding a methanol or denatured alcohol to the water for injection in a 50/50 ratio apparently has further benefits.

Russ.
    A little vinegar along with alcohol/water in the bubbler would neutralize the gas.

BoyntonStu

I'm still experimenting with my cell i have had gains with the cell

see the "efficiency math" thread

i want to build a bubbler cleanser that removes the KOH carry over before finally installing in my car.
    so I'm now experimenting with carbon granules as a filter element to remove the KOH

but as always R&D money comes after the household bills
    but i do like a good skip diving session....

found some good abs filter housings

Gary Diamond Guest
    A little vinegar along with alcohol/water in the bubbler would neutralize the gas.

BoyntonStu
    You mean take out the harmfull koh that woud harm the engine?

"I found nice gains that lasted over the entire period of time. I was just using an ineffecient open bath type design. I wish I would have joined a forum or used video or something else to document the mileage"

Nice gains; the mileage went from _____ to ______?

I was just using an ineffecient open bath type design

Number of plates, sizes, V, A?

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu

Stu, All the MPG gains were posted in the other thread. The cell was on the jeep for most of 1 winter and until I replaced the Jeep last August. I went through several different designs using different plate numbers and sizes. I kept the amp draw around 30 amps +- at automotive voltage and only used baking soda. It was not until I joined this forum and really started researching that I found most of what I know now. One of the techs told me about HHO and I just followed his advice. I also never measured output or temps, at that time I did not see any reason to. I do know that it was hot enough to melt Schedule 40 PVC once. I had to switch to Schedule 80 CPVC to make it hold up. I also think that most of the folks that tried probably did not have the insight to measure everything either. I did not even know about neutral plates at the time.

Larry

BoyntonStu
    Stu,

From my own experiments, back when smith03jetta first brought up this issue, I tried a bubbler full of vinegar and and it did not neutralise the KOH. I still found the tell tale white traces in my intake. Using an airstone to make finer bubbles may assist here.

The only truly successful method that I have employed to date is my cleansing bubbler design, although I believe that is only useful up to about 2 LPM. Anymore output than that, we would need to increase the effectiveness of the condenser by using a copper or stainless steel tube in it's place as I believe you suggested.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

gains

BoyntonStu,

I posted my gains in testimonials, 8/15/08. Nothing else to say.

I added a temperature feedback circuit and winter heating element, and posted the info in other sections of this forum.

Russ

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    BoyntonStu,

I posted my gains in testimonials, 8/15/08. Nothing else to say.

I added a temperature feedback circuit and winter heating element, and posted the info in other sections of this forum.

Russ

2003 ford ranger 2.3 liter, 5 spd standard. Went from 22.4 to 28.1 mpg.

1/2 gal. distilled, 1 1/2 tsp potassium hydroxide, 2 sets of 6 (+nnnn-) 316 ss plates 2.5 x 4.5 inch, 0.068 spacing

First time running on the intake side. Bottle dosen't seem to get hot, actually did better on the other side of the butterfly (37.5%).

I jacked the amps from 4 - 5 amps to 7 - 8. If I don't do better at next fillup, will move back to upstream of the butterfly.

My stock 2.3 2002 5 spd Ranger gets 26 MPH.

BoyntonStu

SmartScarecrow Guest
    2003 ford ranger 2.3 liter, 5 spd standard. Went from 22.4 to 28.1 mpg.

1/2 gal. distilled, 1 1/2 tsp potassium hydroxide, 2 sets of 6 (+nnnn-) 316 ss plates 2.5 x 4.5 inch, 0.068 spacing

First time running on the intake side. Bottle dosen't seem to get hot, actually did better on the other side of the butterfly (37.5%).

I jacked the amps from 4 - 5 amps to 7 - 8. If I don't do better at next fillup, will move back to upstream of the butterfly.

My stock 2.3 2002 5 spd Ranger gets 26 MPH.

BoyntonStu

one of the EBN guys, d3adp001, did some pretty extensive testing with a steam generation device that used waste exhaust heat to make the steam ... he was able to achieve some pretty impressive mileage improvements with his device in a GM V8 engine ... there are so many better ways to get steam than electrolysis that I have serious philosophical problems about heading down that path ...

there does seem to be a point with each vehicle where you hit a sweet spot ... its usually right around 1 lpm per 1000cc of engine displacement, but some have report hitting it using a lot less HHO than this ... there is also an upper limit wall that most who experiment with higher volumes run into ... but those who push past that wall indicate that there is another useful threshold when you get to about 20% of the total fuel consumed being HHO ...

a lot is yet unknown ... most of what we think we know is based on very limited evidence and amateurish data acquisition ... so basically, its our best guess only ... your mileage may vary is the moral ...