Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Plates Available Soon

tbhavsar Guest

check this out - yarde metals

I went to their office in NJ; min. order is $150/-; look for dropzone for scrap or leftover materials.

http://www.yarde.com/cgi-bin/dropzone.pl

I like the idea of looking into scrap auctions to save a few bucks, but with that comes alot of extra time necessary to matchup SS grade, gauge, finish, flatness, and overall condition....I am still very much open to suggestions on where to find a better deal than what I have so far so I can pass the saving on to the community. I want to provide top notch materials so folks can experiment and trust their results as well as put it in their vehicles and run like a champ. Thanks TBH and LOU...

Gonna stick to my local distrib. unless someone can point me to something better...Thanks all!
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Omega Guest
    Say computer clinic, have you committed to buy your SS sheet yet?

The reason I ask is that 14 gauge is quite a bit thicker than most people use. IF I were you, I would be looking at 18 gauge at the thickest and more like 20 gauge or 22 gauge for the best choice. 20 gauge is .0356" and is plenty thick. If a customer wants to bend a plate for his design, bending 14 gauge is going to be tough!!

The thinner material should be less expensive and much easier to drill and work with.

While talking to your distributor, you might ask them if they know of anyone with a press break that could cut your material. A press brake makes perfectly straight cuts and will save you a fortune in saw blades and effort. You could get them to cut strips for you so that you could cut them to different lengths that your customers might ask for or leave a tab on top for electrical connections. That way a bunch of the hard work is done for you. I wouldn't cut the whole sheet all at once; you might find some sizes are more desirable to customers than others.

I'm an old guy and have been around this kind of stuff for a long time. If you can get some of the cutting or punching done cheaply, go for it!! Spend your time marketing and putting eBay listings together instead of sweating unnecessarily in the shop.

PM me and let me know where you are in Oklahoma, I know a few shops down that way that might be able to help you out....

Will help those in need...as needed.....

I will be starting out with 14 gauge, and then picking up thinner stock, plus mesh and wire, too. I went with the 14 gauge as the first shot because Im not sure how much of a response I will have in sales. If it does not work out, I can use the metals for other stuff.

If anyone is wondering, YES I CAN get thinner stock at any time as long as the order is placed and paid for, I can get anything a customer wants, and I will fabricate to stock designs or to custom specifications.

BTW, I will be selling on Ebay and my website. It is a family operation and I will be providing a coupon code for members of the community here so they do not have to pay the full asking price (which will already be inexpensive). After all, we are not looking to get rich, just a bit to pay for further experiments and developments with a little left over on the side - so expect to see VERY reasonable pricing on everything I carry.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

rmptr Guest
    Good luck to you Comp!

I agree with Omega, though...

I'll watch for you to post size and prices... NOT happy with recep covers.

Maybe you could stock threaded nylon rod and flash back preventers????

Quosino has a $100 minimum order...

best

mikestrikes Guest
    How much for cut plates ?

20.. of 4" by 10"
    4.. of 1/2" by 10"

Im still working out the pricing for various sizes and options such as predrilled holes, tabs, and so on...Also figuring the public prices versus the hhoforums discount prices, too...I am working as quickly as possible without rushing. Anything worth doing is worth taking time to do it right. Right?

The site is nearly completed, and I will have prices worked out likely no later than this weekend...

More than likely, I will have the steel available right away (next weekend), plus a couple of things that Stratous will be making available, too.....Additional grades and gauges, plus other parts, pieces, and hardware folks are looking for will be added in the VERY near future....

mikestrikes Guest
    Well from the test I done today I may not be needing 14 ga but thinner, I'll be looking for updates on what you will have.

Sounds like I made a wrong turn when I selected the startup gauge. I was thinking about durability when I placed the order for 14 gauge. I will be placing an order for some 20 gauge this weekend due to popular comments and suggestions. Thank you folks so much for the input. I cant begin to tell you how important it is for me to recieve such a response.

I had to dip into the pockets a bit deeper than anticipated for the startup costs, but we will have what folks are actually wanting and needing so it is worth it.

Started my own experiments with outlet covers and moved onto some scraps that a friend gave me, and now I am experimenting with 14 gauge. Thats what got me to thinking that it would be a good start.

I havent noticed a measurable difference in gas or electric related to the thichness, is it a matter of heating up wires - or the workability of the plates to suit the needs of your cells?

mikestrikes Guest
    I bet the 14 ga would make a kick butt box to build a cell with.

I myself haven't tested with 14 ga v/s say 20 ga to see but I would think the thinner stuff would make a lighter cell, cost less, easier to drill and should last a good long time.

I was just thinking that the thinner stuff would be better to use but I am wrong alot also.........LOL.

Let me know price and we'll see. But no matter what Thank You for going out of your way to help the HHO people.