Thread: 87 carb'd wrangler w/ a MAP sensor?

jcbarton Guest

87 carb'd wrangler w/ a MAP sensor?

Hello, I have a 87 wrangler with a weber carb and a 7 cup cell producing about 1lpm. I have bee reading up on my jeep while attempting to restore it and have noticed that even though it is carb'ed it has a MAP sensor.. This was shocking to me. Would a MAP sensor enhancer help with the mpg increase?? I have not re-jetted the carb or adjusted the carb since installing the cell about 3 months ago. I have very minimal mpg gains but better horse power and lower emissions. Any ideas on this one? A MAP sensor on a carb engine is baffling to me but I dont know much about cars so...

cinch Guest
    If you have an EGR valve on there it could be used to meter the EGR since it can not,with a carubreted engine, meter the fuel. The EGR Valve (Exhaust Gass Recirculation Valve) is the only reason I can think of to have it on there. IF you don't have an EGR,it's pointless to have.

Hope that helps.

cinch Guest
    Just looked at autozone's webpage and it says both the 6cyl and 4cyl engines in the 87 Jeep Wranglers have an EGR so I'd say that is what it is for.

jcbarton Guest

thanks

I guess I will adjust the carb and then if that does not help I will attempt to re-jet when I have the time. Thanks

jcbarton Guest
    I just checked the autozone website too and it said that it DOES NOT have the EGR.?? Any ideas?

Bump...

Just wanted to see if three was any update on this thread? I have a 87 wrangler also and I have been looking into building and installing one too.