Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polycarbonate generators

yangga Guest

Lexan is BAD for this application!!!!

And here is the video from bornman88:

the lexan part is in the middle of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_MNP-RjVaw

Quote Originally Posted by yangga View Post
    And here is the video from bornman88:

the lexan part is in the middle of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_MNP-RjVaw
    This video makes plenty of sense and I guess if someone decides to shield their cell with polycarbonate, use NaOH or KOH in higher concentration then this might be a real issue. The design of the cell in the video is one in which the plates have 4 sides touching polycarbonate and from looking at his other videos he seems to like extremely high electrolyte concentrations (like 5:1) as mentioned here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MJIomGAxQ and I quote: "The water:lye by weight is 5:1". Wouldn't that make it approximately a 20% solution? He also mentioned that same cell's spec as: "250 l/hr at 50 Amp". Wow, seems like a lot of current and a lot of NaOH. Of course his polycarbonate will take a dump. So now it's back to basically what Stratous said:

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    You would be correct, but the test was done with pure NaOH. The Lexan was left submerged in the NaOH for 48 hours. So far none of the units I have built have shown any sign of damage by the NaOH. I would imagine its because it highly diluted by water.
    The approx 800:1 water to electrolyte concentrations that we use here, heck even Smith03Jetta's much higher concentration at approx 3.5 tsp/gal or 230:1 water to electrolyte isn't even a .5% solution. Most chemical resistance data concerning polycarbonate that I have seen starts with >= 1% solution.

yangga Guest
    It's all up to you...

I myself dont find any reason why I have to stick with polycarb, many people already reported having issues with it, the info I attached is from a vendor who been doing acrylics containers for hho, and have done testing. Join other forums and ask, you'll hear different experiences.

This is america anyways, you can do whatever you want.

Oh and by the way, Ideal dilution is 28%, this is what serious hho builders follows. This makes the water fully conductive and to avoid any resistance in the catalyst and minimize heat build-up, then you control the current draw by using a pwm.

Quote Originally Posted by yangga View Post
    Oh and by the way, Ideal dilution is 28%, this is what serious hho builders follows. This makes the water fully conductive and to avoid any resistance in the catalyst and minimize heat build-up, then you control the current draw by using a pwm.
    Oh, okay. So I guess the problem is that we are not serious enough. I got ya. Oh and if you don't mind... please explain how adding more metallic base substance like sodium hydroxide actually "minimizes" heat build-up. If you disregard the chemical resistance tests (like anyone who uses polycarbonate in a 28% solution is doing), then you deserve what you get. I've searched for polycarbonate issues all over the web and found very mixed and misleading results, so I will go with the facts instead. I can tell you "you are right" if it makes you feel better.

yangga Guest
    Less catalyst restricts current flow, and if you understand electronics, you'll know what happen if there is resistance. No need explaning as I think you are smarter than anybody else, and doesn't want any information.

You dont believe it?

Talk to Bob Boyce! he'll explain it to you. And tell him that the 28% maximum dilution he is recommending is fiction... Go to panacea univesity website whos doing research in hho and has a good relationship with people who are serious in this area, like Ravi, Lawton, ZFF, Smack, Lary Jarboe, Boyce. Look for Ash, who is managing the university, he will tell you the same, probably you dont know this people and not following what their recommendations, and you are not on track.

If you can prove that they are wrong, we will wait for you at next Jarboes Mill' event, where hho builders (with their generators) go to twice a year to share their information. You can also ask your polycarb question there if you wanted to.

They've done this ahead of you, and you just started, but you can always feel smarter than them if it makes you feel better, and go with your own (proven?) facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Oh, okay. So I guess the problem is that we are not serious enough. I got ya. Oh and if you don't mind... please explain how adding more metallic base substance like sodium hydroxide actually "minimizes" heat build-up. If you disregard the chemical resistance tests (like anyone who uses polycarbonate in a 28% solution is doing), then you deserve what you get. I've searched for polycarbonate issues all over the web and found very mixed and misleading results, so I will go with the facts instead. I can tell you "you are right" if it makes you feel better.

Bah, this is ridiculous... Noob.

Sorry, Stratous for hijacking the thread. Please tell us more about your polycarbonate generators if you have more.

yangga Guest
    What's wrong Stevo???. You shocked that a noob know this info?

I might be a noob here, and dont treat all the noob here as they dont know anything. Obviously this is how you rank people around here, and you are having a hard time to swallow it, that a noob like me knows it, and not you. I'm a noob, ok fine, but that doesn't give you the right to push me around.

Let me tell you something, this not the only hho forum that exist, there are much better ones that you obviously dont know about.

If you think you have something to prove about this technology? go to Jarboes and do it there.

End of story!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Bah, this is ridiculous... Noob.

Sorry, Stratous for hijacking the thread. Please tell us more about your polycarbonate generators if you have more.