Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polycarbonate generators

Quote Originally Posted by Atechguy View Post
    POLY or lexan http://www.flotronicpumps.co.uk/temp...p=page:0004Son chemical compatibilty chart is not good for use for KOH or NaOH .
    You would be correct, but the test was done with pure NaOH. The Lexan was left submerged in the NaOH for 48 hours. So far none of the units I have built have shown any sign of damage by the NaOH. I would imagine its because it highly diluted by water.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Atechguy Guest

Thanks Stratous that makes sense, someone on another forum brought this up and i started to panic because i had bought a similar unit . Thanks

shortstack Guest
    how would u clean the cells?

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I am currently building custom sized polycarbonate generators. I build them as the request comes in, so I dont have stocked units. Generally the units will run from $140 to $220. Price depends on size and amount of plates. These units are a bit large and hold a gallon or more of electrolyte. I have posted photos of a single cell unit and a double cell unit. The single cell produces .7 LPM at about 7 amps and the double cell I havent been able to measure yet, but it produces very well at 9 amps as you can see by the picture. The unit ran for 3 hours and the temp only reached 122°. The other photo is of a bubbler. It measures 2 X 2 X 6 inches. You can PM me in these boards, or email me at rjmarb1@suddenlink.net
    Hey Stratous,

With the polycarbonate boxes you make, I have a couple questions.

1. With the adhesive that you use to bind the bottom and sides together, do you sometimes have to add more adhesive after the first application has cured to complete the air/water tight seal?

2. Can you do graceful heat treated bends to the 3/8" polycarbonate? Like if I wanted a 90 degree bend.

smartHHO Guest
    Good looking box. Was thinking about going that way with my cell that I am waiting on. I am still in the experimentation stage of making one that looks good and has real good output. I know that discs don't seem to put out much from some test results that have been run so far. So seems square plates are going to be the way to go. Does the place you get the poly from have a website by chance? Want to have a look at what they are asking and what not incase I can get some or find a place around here. 275 deg is nice high temp.

Also, what are you using to glue them together after your cuts? Due to temp and water/air-tight restrictions. I know a friend of mine showed me some stuff that actually melted the plexi together so it was bonded as one piece.

Thanks.

dlw Guest
    Have a look at this site, lots of info on plastics http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/
    Look at the plastics index.

Quote Originally Posted by smartHHO View Post
    Good looking box. Was thinking about going that way with my cell that I am waiting on. I am still in the experimentation stage of making one that looks good and has real good output. I know that discs don't seem to put out much from some test results that have been run so far. So seems square plates are going to be the way to go. Does the place you get the poly from have a website by chance? Want to have a look at what they are asking and what not incase I can get some or find a place around here. 275 deg is nice high temp.

Also, what are you using to glue them together after your cuts? Due to temp and water/air-tight restrictions. I know a friend of mine showed me some stuff that actually melted the plexi together so it was bonded as one piece.

Thanks.
    www.onlinemetals.com
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

smartHHO Guest
    Thanks bud!

godoveryou Guest
    I've been building cells for years out of Plexi, and used what would be considered very danderous levels of KOH in them... I've never had a problem.

GOY

yangga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    You would be correct, but the test was done with pure NaOH. The Lexan was left submerged in the NaOH for 48 hours. So far none of the units I have built have shown any sign of damage by the NaOH. I would imagine its because it highly diluted by water.

Hi,
    Good I found this, I would like to warn you about using lexan.

I've ordered my acrylic containers from
    http://www.h2oreactor.com , and also asked this lexan containers, here's what I got.

48 hours testing is not sufficient.

"
    Lexan is the wrong material for this,
    There are sellers out there making lexan (or polycarbonate) containers for hho applications, obviously they dont know anything about this material, they haven't done any stress testing, and how it reacts with the catalyst (KOH/NaOH), with the combination of this chemical and heat, it will crack and craze, it doesn't happen in few days, but it'll show stress in about a month or so, I can send you photos of how it looks, but if you look at youtube.com and search for bornman88 you'll see how it is
    "