Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highschoolers Senior Project

redneckgearhead34 Guest

Highschoolers Senior Project

Hello to all my old friends on here. It has been a while since I have read anything at all from this forum. I must say it is a pleasure to be back.

Now to cut to the chase, if any of you have ever lived in NC you may know all seniors that plan to graduate high school must complete a graduation project. This graduation consists of a research paper and some sort of product that relates back to your research paper.

I chose to research ways to improve the fuel economy of existing vehicles. While I was researching I came across the concept of HHO, I have tried building a few generators but none with any success do to lack of time. I was going to make another attempt at a HHO generator for my product but I came across another I idea I though would be simpler and maybe a little more realistic considering I only have approx. 2 months to complete my project.

I was going to build a device that injects a small amount of water into my engine hopefully positively affecting my fuel economy. I will have more details in a few days but right know I would like to explain my general idea so I can get opinions from people that may know more about this stuff than I do.

Ok so, I am going to start with a small electric water pump, one that comes off a herbicide sprayer. Also of course have a reservoir that hold my water. Then have a fuel injector that is controlled by some sort of timer circuit, I was thinking a controller for a strobe light, this would spray a mist of water into the throttle body of my 1994 Nissan 2.4L hardbody truck.

Thanks for reading, can I get your opinion?

Hey nice screen name HA HA. Any way i bet lots of the kids at school... NO most people! dont know that you can turn water into such an explosive mixture of gas. I am not trying to turn you from your current plan but i built my first (and only right now) cell for less than 50$, some scavenging time and a few hours of labor. I built a -+-+-+- wet cell from lowes and i havn't been able to reconfirm this but i got 4 mpg gains on my first test run. I wasnt able to reconfirm this due to thermal runaway burning up my wiring. Times are tough but you can with a good imagination build a pretty cool wet cell for your project (which is by no means the way to go for long term) for not too much and have the pleasure of filling a SMALL!!! balloon and exploding it. Showing that you can explode water. Pretty cool!!! anyhow if you choose the other good luck as i have heard many positive thing about water injection but have no ground to base them on, either way have FUN!

Good to see you back! I'd been wondering what had happened to you.

I'm experimenting with WI at the moment too, I've got a whole bunch of links you'd be interested in but can't send them until I get to work tomorrow as my home PC isn't working right now.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Gary Diamond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck323 View Post
    Hey nice screen name HA HA. Any way i bet lots of the kids at school... NO most people! dont know that you can turn water into such an explosive mixture of gas. I am not trying to turn you from your current plan but i built my first (and only right now) cell for less than 50$, some scavenging time and a few hours of labor. I built a -+-+-+- wet cell from lowes and i havn't been able to reconfirm this but i got 4 mpg gains on my first test run. I wasnt able to reconfirm this due to thermal runaway burning up my wiring. Times are tough but you can with a good imagination build a pretty cool wet cell for your project (which is by no means the way to go for long term) for not too much and have the pleasure of filling a SMALL!!! balloon and exploding it. Showing that you can explode water. Pretty cool!!! anyhow if you choose the other good luck as i have heard many positive thing about water injection but have no ground to base them on, either way have FUN!
    I agree for show and tell getting a big bang from water would impress everyone but do it safe read up on it you can get hurt in a big way, but NO ONE in your class will forget you that's for sure

I would say make a simple one from wall plates don't worry how well it works you will still make a big bang perhaps someone on this forum lives near you and would be happy to give their old wet cell

AND THIS MUST BE DONE OUTSIDE AND YOU MUST WEAR SAFTY GLASSES GOOD LUCK

I have to do a senior project two, although not until next year. Your plan sounds fine, but I have to agree with them, making water explode would be an awesome demo. I was planning on doing some kind of HHO experiment for my project, since I'll already have the cell and plenty of research data.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

Thanks for opening another idea . this water injection sounds good and from what i found on Google there is a lot of information about it.
    HHOinventions.com

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Thanks for all the great input guys. I would love to do the explosion in the classroom but I am not sure my principal would approve of that and not to mention a few of the dangers that go along with that.

As for now I am going to stick with water injection. I will have some parts rounded up this weekend so I can post pictures of them. I think I found a water pump like I need. I might get my parents to help out with some of the cost lol.

Here is the link for it. Tell me what you think.\

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._357081_357081

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Painless,

Thank you for the links. I have read through them all and I like like some of the ideas that they have.

Van Halen,
    Its cool to have another kid workin on somethin like this. My buddy and I have had tons of fun workin on it.

Ya, explosions in the classroom are probably a bad idea. However, you could do a simple torch experiment. You still get to dabble in fire, without causing heart attacks.

You could even melt various metals with relative safety. And best of all, no smoke.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!