Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum - Vented Or Sealed Units?

PAPAFIXIT Guest

Question Vacuum - Vented Or Sealed Units?

I'm slightly confused as to why we would NOT want to vent a unit. I was always under the assumption that in order to extract a substance from a sealed container it must be displaced by another substance.

To extract the gas from an HHO unit does not require displacement. The gas in this case in way less dense than the water. Meaning that the gas takes up more space per weight than the water does. the 3 molecules h h o take up more space than H20. If you completely seal an HHO unit and provide no escape for the gas, the unit will eventually blow up, or the process will stop because the gas has no place to go so the bubbles just stick to the plates.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

PAPAFIXIT Guest
    But is it detrimental to the gas production to introduce air into the equation? It seems to me that the gas would flow at a much faster rate if the container was vented.

rmptr Guest
    MOST of the information I've seen for HHO HOD cell includes a bubbler vent on the cell, itself.

Adjustable bubbler vent on top, controls air inlet connected to a tube which will allow air bubbling down near bottom of electrolyte.

Instruction says, start engine with power OFF to HOD cell, open bubbler very little just so there is at least a periodic bubble in the liquid.
    Then energize the cell.
    HHO production is routed from the cell to a bubbler for flash suppression before entering engine intake tract.

I'm certainly interested in any theory to the contrary.

Best

timetowinarace Guest
    I've been thinking of adding a vent to mine. Just a hose connecter at the top put on the inside and a hose to the bottom of the booster. Wondering if the air bubble comming up from the bottom would help dislodge hho bubbles by making the water more turbulent. Don't know, but the idea is not my own. I seen it somewhere. Wouldn't be possible to measure output though cause air would be in the mix.

h-power Guest

Venting

If you introduce a leak (vent) to the HHO unit the HHO gas will escape through the vent instead of going through the bubbler. To prove it try opening the fill plug and watch the bubbler stop. The reason for this is the gas will take the easiest way out. The bubbler produces a resistance force the HHO gas must overcome equal to the height of the column of water in it.
    Attaching the HHO production hose to a vacuum port on the intake manifold helps to overcome that force and aids in HHO production.

Omega Guest
    You might be able to get away with a very small vent in your generator enclosure if you run your HHO to the air intake. If you run your HHO to a manifold vacuum connection, forget a vent; it would cause all kinds of trouble as most manifold leaks do.

Basically, I think the idea isn't very good. If it was, the "big dogs" in the HHO market would surely do it.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You might be able to get away with a very small vent in your generator enclosure if you run your HHO to the air intake. If you run your HHO to a manifold vacuum connection, forget a vent; it would cause all kinds of trouble as most manifold leaks do.

Basically, I think the idea isn't very good. If it was, the "big dogs" in the HHO market would surely do it.
    Some do do it.

The idea is not to just put an opening at the to of the unit but run a tube from that opening to the inside bottom of the electrlyte so bubbles come up like in a fish tank. The idea is to knock the hho bubbles off the electrodes.

It's a good idea to use something to dislodge bubbles, either this or resonant frequencies or a shaker of some kind.

porkchop Guest
    How about a check valve that only allows air in?(on the unit) If you had a bubbler, wouldn't that keep the manifold happy from a "vacuum leak"? Haven't really thought this through, just slung it out there for y'all.

volomike Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    If you completely seal an HHO unit and provide no escape for the gas, the unit will eventually blow up, or the process will stop because the gas has no place to go so the bubbles just stick to the plates.
    Aha. No wonder my bubblers kept ripping apart. (No joke -- I just didn't know this piece of vital information.)

So where am I to put the vent? How big of a hole? Any other special rules?