Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Cell Stageing

Dry Cell Stageing

I am building a new dry cell for my small car. It has a 1.6 liter engine and I'm planning on outputting 2 lpm at about 30 amps. Because the alternator will probably be at max load with that much current, I'm am thinking about running 2 pwm's and having a switch on each so that I can run 1/2 the cell in town when the rpm's are low and have both half's turned on during highway driving when the engine's rpm's are higher to save on the battery. Has anyone tried this before and how did it work with only 1/2 of the dry cell powered up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    I am building a new dry cell for my small car. It has a 1.6 liter engine and I'm planning on outputting 2 lpm at about 30 amps. Because the alternator will probably be at max load with that much current, I'm am thinking about running 2 pwm's and having a switch on each so that I can run 1/2 the cell in town when the rpm's are low and have both half's turned on during highway driving when the engine's rpm's are higher to save on the battery. Has anyone tried this before and how did it work with only 1/2 of the dry cell powered up?
    I have a three section device controlled by 3 PWM's. I have tested it many ways. With all three sections powered up my start up MMW's are right at 5.5 MMW at 40 degrees F. With the device around 100 degrees F the effeciency increases to just over 6 MMW. All with gas temps between 45 and 66 degrees F. I have done many tests with only 1 or 2 of the sections powered up. In all cases the effeciency is much lower than with all three sections powered. I am not sure why unless it has something to do with magnetic fields. I would like to have the answer myself.

Larry

SmartScarecrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I have a three section device controlled by 3 PWM's. I have tested it many ways. With all three sections powered up my start up MMW's are right at 5.5 MMW at 40 degrees F. With the device around 100 degrees F the effeciency increases to just over 6 MMW. All with gas temps between 45 and 66 degrees F. I have done many tests with only 1 or 2 of the sections powered up. In all cases the effeciency is much lower than with all three sections powered. I am not sure why unless it has something to do with magnetic fields. I would like to have the answer myself.

Larry

be patient ... one of the EBN guys is working right now with a two segment device that runs on rectified AC ... he has it setup so one segment is powered by one side of the wave, the other segment is powered by the opposing side of the wave ... so each segment is on/off when the other is off/on ... its a very interesting experiment that I am quite interested in for obvious reasons ... but the results may give clues to the answer to your question as well ...

hope to have some results within the next 60 days ...

Gary Diamond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartScarecrow View Post
    be patient ... one of the EBN guys is working right now with a two segment device that runs on rectified AC ... he has it setup so one segment is powered by one side of the wave, the other segment is powered by the opposing side of the wave ... so each segment is on/off when the other is off/on ... its a very interesting experiment that I am quite interested in for obvious reasons ... but the results may give clues to the answer to your question as well ...

That's DC, and the cell acts like a filter cap, so it must be more then that, right?

Very Very interesting concept. I would like to be able to watch the magnetic field with that set up and see how it react's.

Larry

SmartScarecrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diamond View Post
    That's DC, and the cell acts like a filter cap, so it must be more then that, right?
    sort of ... one of the things we are interesting in seeing is if the two sides produce equally when the segmented power is applied to what they produce with conventional rectified AC ... the theory is that on the off cycle, the device will continue to produce more or less on "coast" as it discharges its capacitance ... but the counter logic says that significant energy will be lost getting it back up to speed and recharging the capacitance with the next on cycle ... so verdict is out ... we dont know ... that is what makes it interesting to try ... for many of us, its the pure science angle of what works best ...

SmartScarecrow Guest
    Very Very interesting concept. I would like to be able to watch the magnetic field with that set up and see how it react's.

Larry
    unfortunately, I do not have one of those fancy plastic magnetic field viewer gizmos ... and the ones I have seen where so small as to be nearly useless to me ... last time I did the butcher paper and iron filings thing to try to visualize the fields, I ended up making a major mess ... so I have not had an opportunity to see the field that is created around one of these ... would love to be able to do it ... am not sure it would tell me anything, but would still be very interesting to see ...

unfortunately, I do not have one of those fancy plastic magnetic field viewer gizmos ... and the ones I have seen where so small as to be nearly useless to me ... last time I did the butcher paper and iron filings thing to try to visualize the fields, I ended up making a major mess ... so I have not had an opportunity to see the field that is created around one of these ... would love to be able to do it ... am not sure it would tell me anything, but would still be very interesting to see ...
    I have always wondered what the drawing surface of a magnadoodle placed on an operating cell would look like. Looks like a trip to ToysRus and a $10.00 investment might be in order.

Larry

SmartScarecrow Guest
    I have always wondered what the drawing surface of a magnadoodle placed on an operating cell would look like. Looks like a trip to ToysRus and a $10.00 investment might be in order.

Larry
    that is a marvelous idea !!! that just might work !!!

that is a marvelous idea !!! that just might work !!!
    Ideas are my speciality. That is what has gotten me everything in my life. More do not work than do. All you need is one to work well and everyone forgets about all the bad ones. Just keep throwing them against the wall and accept the failures while cherishing the successes.