Thread: HHO on a diesel

HHO on a diesel

Ok folks..
    this is for all of those that have diesels...

Dave Nowlin and I were talking last night and his dilemma is that the ECU doesn't 'turn on' the alternator until the truck has run or about 60 seconds..

He and I were discussing ways to add a 'delayed turn on' to his HHO device..

I suggested that he look in the repair manual (or send it to me) and look for the wire that the ECU uses to 'signal' the alternator to begin outputting. (maybe it turns on the rectifier, or regulator. i'm not certain)

once he finds the wire that signals the alternator, he can use that as the 'switch' to turn on his HHO.. (with a separate shut down switch in the cab just in case he wants to manually shut it off)

I figured I would offer this up in case anyone elses truck is similar.

I hope this helps
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Thank you kind Sir!

Dave Nowlin

no trouble at all Dave..

any time

Dave, With dual batteries I would not worry about when the alternator turns on! Especially with your high amp alternator. You will be just fine!

Larry

i had a similar problem with my diesel
    i had no fuel pump relay to trigger the cell when the engine is running
    so i installed this simple circuit

it basically switches on a relay only when the alternator is charging

the drawing in red is what i have added
    the black blue is existing car wiring the charge lamp is the dash lamp

as for daddymikey1975 problem i suspect the ecu is switching the trigger wire which is the same as the ignition switch in my diagram

to add a delay to my drawing you will need to install a timer switch in series between the coil and fuse in the red part of my drawing

Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    i had a similar problem with my diesel
    i had no fuel pump relay to trigger the cell when the engine is running
    so i installed this simple circuit

it basically switches on a relay only when the alternator is charging

the drawing in red is what i have added
    the black blue is existing car wiring the charge lamp is the dash lamp

as for daddymikey1975 problem i suspect the ecu is switching the trigger wire which is the same as the ignition switch in my diagram

to add a delay to my drawing you will need to install a timer switch in series between the coil and fuse in the red part of my drawing
    Dave's dilemma is that the ECU doesn't turn on the alternator until after the truck is runnnig for a short time. During the 'off' time, he doesn't have a 'low charge' light that comes on on the dash.. (obviously because the ECU 'knows' that it's not charging yet'

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Dave, With dual batteries I would not worry about when the alternator turns on! Especially with your high amp alternator. You will be just fine!

Larry
    I agree that the dual batteries should be fine.. although his concern was more for the actual voltage at startup.. he said that if the batt. voltage dropped too low (11V or so) that it could cause damage to some of the electronics.

He has noticed on his scangauge that after startup, the voltage is 11.5 and he really didnt want to chance losing .4 volts from his gen which is going to be running around 50 amps...

the voltage comes up dramatically once the ECU commands the alternator to begin charging so that's why he wants to have a delayed startup of his HHO.

he's just wanting to play better safe than sorry.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
    Dave's dilemma is that the ECU doesn't turn on the alternator until after the truck is runnnig for a short time. During the 'off' time, he doesn't have a 'low charge' light that comes on on the dash.. (obviously because the ECU 'knows' that it's not charging yet'

the ecu will be switching the alternator on via a switch which will be equivalent to the ignition switch in the circuit i have drawn (the dash lamp is not iluminated with the trigger wire switched off)

so This circuit will work for you it will only switch on the cell once the alternator is charging

there is another way of doing this cheaply thats by fitting a voltage adjustable split charge relay we use them in the UK for charging caravan battery's
    the relay is adjustable so it only switches on when the charge voltage of 14volt is seen