Thread: Torqueing of dry cell bolts

bigjim56 Guest

Torqueing of dry cell bolts

Does anyone here use a torque wrench for torquing their dry cell bolts? I want to be precise in the build, but a search for torque settings comes up empty. I'm using the pan liner for my gasket and lock washers backed by flats for securing.

I was just gonna go until the lock washer collapsed flat, but that doesn't seem as accurate as a torque wrench setting. I've over torqued many a bolts in my day, so its probably better that I use the torque wrench anyway.

Thanks,

bigjim56

To be honest with you, you're going to find that different end plate materials / thickness and gasket thickness / material is going to effect the kind of torque you're going to need for a good seal.

I would recommend that you simply tighten them in a crossover pattern, like the head of an engine block, a little at a time. Use a sink full of water and an air compressor or equivalent to check for leaks.

You will also find that some gaskets materials, like PVC, will require re-tightening after it has been through a few warm up / cool down cycles.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    To be honest with you, you're going to find that different end plate materials / thickness and gasket thickness / material is going to effect the kind of torque you're going to need for a good seal.

I would recommend that you simply tighten them in a crossover pattern, like the head of an engine block, a little at a time. Use a sink full of water and an air compressor or equivalent to check for leaks.

You will also find that some gaskets materials, like PVC, will require re-tightening after it has been through a few warm up / cool down cycles.

Russ.
    Russ,

I have 1/32 Neoprene coming in.

I should mention that after tightening, one can measure the total cell width and calculate the compressed gasket width.

BoyntonStu

Torqueing of dry cell bolts

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim56 View Post
    Does anyone here use a torque wrench for torquing their dry cell bolts? I want to be precise in the build, but a search for torque settings comes up empty. I'm using the pan liner for my gasket and lock washers backed by flats for securing.

I was just gonna go until the lock washer collapsed flat, but that doesn't seem as accurate as a torque wrench setting. I've over torqued many a bolts in my day, so its probably better that I use the torque wrench anyway.

Thanks,

bigjim56
    I use my 19V Sears Drill/Driver, torque setting at #8(of 22).
    Have no idea what the inch/pound or ft/lb would be, but it makes for a good seal and consistant bolt pressure on my 3/8" acrylic end plates.

PatL
    You'll never know unless you TRY !