Thread: Anyone experience a corroded exhaust system from HHO?

locco Guest

Question Anyone experience a corroded exhaust system from HHO?

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to install my first HHO system on my friends car (his is carburrated so will be easier to play with) and would like to know if anyone has experienced a corroded exhaust which they suspect was due to running HHO? It could have rusted out as it was its time anyway but do you suspect that it was accelerated due to the use of HHO and thus an increase of H2O in the exhaust fumes?

I'm curious as this is the only downside of the installation that I can think of apart from melting your pistons and burning your valves from running a lean mixture. But we have a k-type thermocouple in the exhaust as insurence against that

corrosion

LOCCO,
    I have been using HHO in my 2003 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter for 9 months.
    There is rust in my exhaust pipe, but it is minimal. Pretty close to not running HHO, because there is water condensing without HHO.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by locco View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm just about to install my first HHO system on my friends car (his is carburrated so will be easier to play with) and would like to know if anyone has experienced a corroded exhaust which they suspect was due to running HHO? It could have rusted out as it was its time anyway but do you suspect that it was accelerated due to the use of HHO and thus an increase of H2O in the exhaust fumes?

I'm curious as this is the only downside of the installation that I can think of apart from melting your pistons and burning your valves from running a lean mixture. But we have a k-type thermocouple in the exhaust as insurence against that

Insurance how? you are watching for a certain temperature threshold?

locco Guest
    Thanks for the info Ridelong. I guess as long as all exhaust temps are above 100C then the water would just steam off and out the exhaust without accumulating. I will have to check the temp of the muffler...

Livehho, when I recieve and install the thermocouple I will mount it into the exhaust stream (right after the exhaust manifold collector) and will watch out for a raise above 10% in temp at that area over normal running temp. That will mean that I won't be cought running hugelly increased temps.

You could really mount the k-type thermocouple right after the exhaust port as the thermoucouple goes up to 1350C and the exhaust leaving your cylinder is no more than 700C. Higher exhaust temps than that and you're getting close to causing damage.

Have a look on ebay for k-type thermocouples, there's some nice 3 meter, fibreglass insulated, stainless steel mesh protected, self tapping probes available for very cheap prices.