Thread: Freezing problem

Freezing problem

Ok my freeze season is almost over but i want to know if i would put windshield wiper fluid in my bubbler to prevent freezing? is so how much do i need? does it effect anything when it goes through the drycell? what is all the possible things i could use to prevent freezing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra4x4 View Post
    Ok my freeze season is almost over but i want to know if i would put windshield wiper fluid in my bubbler to prevent freezing? is so how much do i need? does it effect anything when it goes through the drycell? what is all the possible things i could use to prevent freezing?
    Your bubbler water should never go through your cell unless you are using the resevoir as a bubbler. Windshield washer fluid will work in a stand alone bubbler but I would not let it into your cell. A strong solution of KOH and distilled water will prevent freeze up in most climates. I have had a gallon of water with three cups KOH sitting outside for the last month or so. It has been as cold as 5 below zero F and not one ice crystal has formed in the water ever. You will need a PWM to run that strong of an electrolite.

Larry

sorry to begin this thread back up, but if i but denatured alochol in my resisvor (which it does pass through my cell) will that work to prevent from freezing? If so, what amount should i use? Will it hurt anything, my cell or me or so forth?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra4x4 View Post
    sorry to begin this thread back up, but if i but denatured alochol in my resisvor (which it does pass through my cell) will that work to prevent from freezing? If so, what amount should i use? Will it hurt anything, my cell or me or so forth?
    Do not allow the alcohol to pass through your cell. I have tried that and production goes way down. Isopropyl Alcohol in your bubbler at a 25% mix ratio will stop freezing in the bubbler but a check valve must be in line to stop the water from returning to your cell. KOH at 28% by weight will also totally prevent cell freeze up. I ran one all last winter with no issues at all that way.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Do not allow the alcohol to pass through your cell. I have tried that and production goes way down.
    I dont understand how alcohol can reduce HHO production?

Quote Originally Posted by hhonewbie View Post
    I dont understand how alcohol can reduce HHO production?
    I live in Alaska so have had to try everything to stop freezing. Alcohol was the first thing I tried. My effeciency dropped by 25% when adding alcohol. I can only guess why but my best guess is that the alcohol only provides electrical resistance and no HHO. Anything that increases effeciency will lower effeciency period.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.