Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru WRX

Subaru WRX

Anyone with info specific to Scoobies? Or turboed cars in general?

anyone????

I want to attempt HHO on my Scooby, but need some more info first. I'm going to make a dry cell generator, and probably do the bubbler setup. Any other fail safes I need. How much gas should I produce? What is the target volume per min. It's 2.0L Turbo charged engine. I've read that a good ratio is 1lpm per liter of displacement. But with the forced induction is this still correct as there is more air going into the same volume?
    Also where do I tap the HHO, do I run it to the intercooler or the intake manifold, and if so will I have problems overcoming the pressure from the boost to pump in the HHO. Or do I tap it pre turbo, in which case how do I ensure that the system doesn't accidently pump water into the turbo.
    Also any general tip for getting started would be help full, and tips for building and installing a system.
    What about engine management? Right now I'm doing open source tuning to flash downloaded maps to the ECU, how do I tune for HHO, anyone got a map for this?
    And anyone with info specific to WRXs STis or Subarus, or Force Induction cars in general.

Don't know if this info is relevant but I've got an '04 WRX with Stage 2 XTP engine map, 3" catless downpipe, 3" catless cat back, catless uppipe, and ported throttle body and intake.

Thanks for any help.

anyone????

Quote Originally Posted by OUScooby View Post
    I want to attempt HHO on my Scooby, but need some more info first. I'm going to make a dry cell generator, and probably do the bubbler setup. Any other fail safes I need. How much gas should I produce? What is the target volume per min. It's 2.0L Turbo charged engine. I've read that a good ratio is 1lpm per liter of displacement. But with the forced induction is this still correct as there is more air going into the same volume?
    Also where do I tap the HHO, do I run it to the intercooler or the intake manifold, and if so will I have problems overcoming the pressure from the boost to pump in the HHO. Or do I tap it pre turbo, in which case how do I ensure that the system doesn't accidently pump water into the turbo.
    Also any general tip for getting started would be help full, and tips for building and installing a system.
    What about engine management? Right now I'm doing open source tuning to flash downloaded maps to the ECU, how do I tune for HHO, anyone got a map for this?
    And anyone with info specific to WRXs STis or Subarus, or Force Induction cars in general.

Don't know if this info is relevant but I've got an '04 WRX with Stage 2 XTP engine map, 3" catless downpipe, 3" catless cat back, catless uppipe, and ported throttle body and intake.

Thanks for any help.
    The reason you are not getting any advice is that no one here that I know has tried adding HHO to a turbocharged gasoline engine. We just do not know what would be the best advice. First I would use at least 2 lpm of HHO AT LEAST. If you are going to try to inject it after the turbo you will have to overcome the boost pressure and that will not be easy. I would inject it before the turbo. You will have to deal with the waste gate just dumping the hho at full boost and that is why I mwould use at least 2lpm. Sorry but I do not have any more good advice with a turbo gas engine.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

Scorpio4.7L Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    ...If you are going to try to inject it after the turbo you will have to overcome the boost pressure and that will not be easy. I would inject it before the turbo. You will have to deal with the waste gate just dumping the hho at full boost...
    I agree.
    I don't know much about HHO, but I do know that purging the unbunt HHO gas into your engine bay might not be the best idea. I mean, we are talking electrical wires, heat and the unknown. Who knows..

One scenario is:
    Your at the stoplight spooling up your turbo for the pretty girls in the next car over - they want to hear the BOV go off, so you keep purging the HHO..Light turns green and the unburned gas is ignited by an after market coil pack. Or shotty wiring. I'm not saying your engine isn't build right. All I'm trying to say is: I would hate to have been under the hood of a car when it backfired if there was an accumulated amount of HHO gas present from a BOV.

I'm sure it can be done safely somehow. I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio4.7L View Post
    I agree.
    I don't know much about HHO, but I do know that purging the unbunt HHO gas into your engine bay might not be the best idea. I mean, we are talking electrical wires, heat and the unknown. Who knows..

One scenario is:
    Your at the stoplight spooling up your turbo for the pretty girls in the next car over - they want to hear the BOV go off, so you keep purging the HHO..Light turns green and the unburned gas is ignited by an after market coil pack. Or shotty wiring. I'm not saying your engine isn't build right. All I'm trying to say is: I would hate to have been under the hood of a car when it backfired if there was an accumulated amount of HHO gas present from a BOV.

I'm sure it can be done safely somehow. I am interested.
    I actually don't have a BOV, I'm still running the stock turbo setup with a bypass valve, no aftermarket coil packs, and I've never messed with any of the wiring. And my boy racer days of reving up at stop lights ended long ago, but I see what you're saying.
    I'm thinking of tapping into intercooler similar to a meth injection setup, or into the intake manifold similar to a dry shot NOS setup, overcoming boost will be an issue, but I think it can be done (like I said most meth injecting kits tap post turbo into the intercooler, but that is liquid not gas), and as far as purging, perhaps a purge line similar to a NOS setup could be the solution.

But really, I know this isn't the most active forum, but surely someone has at least attempted this on a forced induction gasoline engine.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    You will have to deal with the waste gate just dumping the hho at full boost and that is why I mwould use at least 2lpm.

Larry

that depends on if the car is fitted with a recirculating dump valve or a dump valve that vents to atmosphere

its quite common for the "boy racers" to fit the latter as that suppose to sound better on the street with the whoosh of dump coming off throttle

with the recirc it takes the boost and puts it back into the low pressure intake side after the air sensor so it keeps the metered air in the system

Here's a theory for how you might inject HHO after the turbo:

Build yourself a venturi that goes down from a fairly large inlet size to a very small centre section. Run the HHO hose to the centre section and mount it flush with the inner diameter. My theory is that the fast passage of air through the venturi will reduce the physical air pressure at that point (less mass, more speed) and enable the HHO to get into the intake. The venturi should also create a 'sucking' effect on the hose.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    that depends on if the car is fitted with a recirculating dump valve or a dump valve that vents to atmosphere

its quite common for the "boy racers" to fit the latter as that suppose to sound better on the street with the whoosh of dump coming off throttle

with the recirc it takes the boost and puts it back into the low pressure intake side after the air sensor so it keeps the metered air in the system
    I have a bypass valve, which is a recirculatory system, it does not vent to the atmosphere. A blow off valve, which is what makes the "whoosh" is what dumps to the atmosphere.