Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subaru WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Here's a theory for how you might inject HHO after the turbo:

Build yourself a venturi that goes down from a fairly large inlet size to a very small centre section. Run the HHO hose to the centre section and mount it flush with the inner diameter. My theory is that the fast passage of air through the venturi will reduce the physical air pressure at that point (less mass, more speed) and enable the HHO to get into the intake. The venturi should also create a 'sucking' effect on the hose.

Russ.
    Interesting idea. I googled venturi, and read up on it, but still don't quite understand it or how to implement it. Can you explain further, please?

I just installed one on my 96 legacy 2.2L. So far mileage went from 26-28 to 33mpg. I've installed a MAP enhancer but I'm not sure if it's working correctly since it won't kill the car. I can give you more info on the install if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by velorossa22 View Post
    I just installed one on my 96 legacy 2.2L. So far mileage went from 26-28 to 33mpg. I've installed a MAP enhancer but I'm not sure if it's working correctly since it won't kill the car. I can give you more info on the install if you want.
    Yes please, more info would be great. Is that the turboed 2.2L?

No it's a N/a. Are there any turbo 2.2Ls out there? Anyways I have it installed and I'm chasing down the o2 gremlins that have been haunting me for awhile. I'm trying to get it to run in closed loop mode so I can adjust the A/F ratio.
    So far here's the data:
    Normally car runs at 26-28mpg depending on conditions.
    Took 20 mile round trip with hho at 20a and the mileage was 32mpg.
    Went to work with hho on, check engine light came on about 10 minutes in the trip, then on the way home generator wasn't working b/c the electrolyte had leaked out of generator while at work ( must have heated up good on the 50 miles to work). With HHO only on 1/2 time and check engine light on mpg was 29. 100mile round trip
    Today I went to work the check engine light stayed off ( changed out the 02 sensor on the cat-hopefully that was the one) and I kept hho off for the trip. Mileage was 28mpg on 100 mile trip.
    We will see tomorrow what it will bring with the generator running hopefully full time.
    My wife left for oregon and took the camera when she comes back I will post pics of the install.

No it's a N/a. Are there any turbo 2.2Ls out there? Anyways I have it installed and I'm chasing down the o2 gremlins that have been haunting me for awhile. I'm trying to get it to run in closed loop mode so I can adjust the A/F ratio.

We will see tomorrow what it will bring with the generator running hopefully full time.
    My wife left for oregon and took the camera when she comes back I will post pics of the install.
    There is one turboed 2.2L, it's called the 22B and its the most coveted of all Subarus umaoung the Subaru enthusiast community. Mention the 22B to a Scooby fan boy and just watch them start to drool.

Anyway can't wait for some pics, and good luck with working out the kinks.

Another set back today. My generator leaked out again on the drive and after it sat I went to show a couple guys at work my setup, the + and the - somehow made a dead short sending my circuit breaker into fits. Now the car has a weird high idle issue ( like almost 3000rpm) then bounces down then up then down and so on for a few minutes til it totally warm. Check engine light goes on immediately. In fact it kept wanting to die too. I'm bummed b/c now I have to figure out what I broke .
    But I did rebuild the generator with twice as many bolts so hopefully it will stop leaking. But I not sure about running hho until I can get the check engine light read.
    I have to go to Oregon to pick up my wife and son with this car and I don't want to be stuck somewhere out on I-5.
    Did the 22B make it into legacy? Or is it a WRX thing?

Another set back today. My generator leaked out again on the drive and after it sat I went to show a couple guys at work my setup, the + and the - somehow made a dead short sending my circuit breaker into fits. Now the car has a weird high idle issue ( like almost 3000rpm) then bounces down then up then down and so on for a few minutes til it totally warm. Check engine light goes on immediately. In fact it kept wanting to die too. I'm bummed b/c now I have to figure out what I broke .
    But I did rebuild the generator with twice as many bolts so hopefully it will stop leaking. But I not sure about running hho until I can get the check engine light read.
    I have to go to Oregon to pick up my wife and son with this car and I don't want to be stuck somewhere out on I-5.
    If I were you, I would disconnect both the positive feed and the ground from the cell and see if the problem goes away. Sounds to me like you still have a bad current drain somewhere.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

The 22B is a WRX, it was the basis for Subaru's WRC car when they won the championship with McRae. Very few were ever made and it was never sold outside of Japan unfortunately, there is supposidly only one in the US, and it's owned by Subaru of America, and just sits in the lobby of the HQ (what a waste).

As for your strange idle sounds like an MAF sensor problem, what code are you throwing? A bad or dirty MAF sensor will cuase this exact thing. Hopefully it just needs cleaning and it's just a coincidence that it happened after you installed the system, but you may have fried it with the short.

First thing though I would simply try resetting the ECU, see if it fixes the idle and if the CEL returns.

Also wondering, where you mounted you're device. I was thinking of putting mine in the trunk, as I didn't want hydrogen accumulating in the engine bay with a hot turbo in case there is a leak, I don't know how it is in a legacy, but my Rex doesn't have a lot of room in the engine bay or a good place to mount.

PO505. Which normally has something to do with idle air control valve. I recently cleaned mine and it cleared a low idle issue when warming up. I pulled it again, looks okay but looks like someone sprayed green spray paint on the lobe the rotates inside the valve. Does KOH turn aluminum to a green oxide? Anyways it doesn't appear to want to come off so maybe I'm crazy and it was always there. Otherwise maybe my IAC is going bad? Oh yeah no vacuum leaks that I could find.
    MAKE SURE TO BENCH TEST YOUR CELL FOR AWHILE BEFORE INSTALLING IN THE TRUNK!
    I've been fighting leaking issues with my cell and it would have been a major bummer to have to clean KOH out of my trunk carpet. As it was it got the bottom of my motor, trans exhaust and the connections for the O2 sensors coated with crap that had to be cleaned off ( meanwhile KOH was dripping on my head while I was underneath the car...
    I'm clearing the code again as I was to reinstall the IAC. I had tried numerous times before to do the same thing but the CEL kept coming back.

So I've got a lead on a deal on a meth injection kit for my car, I'm thinking I could use this to pump in HHO instead, this could be a solution to tapping post turbo and overcoming preasure, don't know if this will work with a gas instead of a liquid. Thoughts?
    http://smcenterprises.com/subaru.htm