Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Subaru WRX

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmonkee View Post
    I have a working hho system in my jeep and I also owned an 06 wrx with upgrades and Cobb tuned maps.Putting an hho in a turbo wrx kinda defeats the purpose.Its nice to have fuel economy (they make tuned maps for that) but you cant have your cake and eat it too .The turbo ecu is extremely sophisticated .Turbo cars need to run rich for power and detonation prevention.Meth/water injection allows for more power.With HHO you're running on the lean side and fooling the computer to think its ok. Not good on a turbo with so many variables,boost ,altitude,premium fuel,multiple converters.It would take a lot of computing time and failsafes. Has it been done? probably..have they lasted or succeeded long term? Diesel are a different animal all together.
    I'm running an the XTP stage 2 map right now. I've got a small netbook in the glove box and can flash new maps to the ECU, basically like the COBB Accessport. It's also going to be running virtual gauges via ODBII, so I can keep an eye on the engine, set alarms for certain parameters and shut things down if things start going wrong.
    My plan is to create a custom map for HHO, don't necessarily have to be running HHO all the time, I'll just flash the ECU when I want to use it, and flash back the XPT map when I want to enjoy more power.

Yes turbo cars do run richer, but I've seen quite a few lean fuel tunes on Subies, they boost lower but still produce the power (although it takes a lot of fine tuning to get the tune right, get things wrong and you detonate). I guess my HHO map would be similar to these lean tunes, then adding the HHO would make it safer to run that lean. First problem to over come is getting the HHO to the engine, and overcoming the manifold pressure.

I personally would "T" into the wastegate solenoid return line where it goes back into the intake just past the MAF sensor and have the HHO going into the intake before the turbo. Then tune the ECU for it. (If I could tune which I can't) But that is the way that it could work, with tuning... Not fooling the O2 sensor etc... And yes having a ecomap tuned with the HHO on and a power map with the HHO off like the AP RT map would be great.