Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Voltage for Continuous Electrolysis

Post Minimum Voltage for Continuous Electrolysis

ok was doing some research and found the following:

The minimum voltage to produce continuous electrolysis in a cell whose resistance other than that due to polarization is negligible is given below for various aqueous solutions of bases, acids and salts containing their chemical equivalent weight in grams per liter; with considerable variation in the degree of concentration of the solution it has been found that those solutions given below whose minimum voltage is about 1.7 require no appreciable variation in pressure to produce continuous Electrolysis:

Solution of
    Minimum Voltage for
    Continuous Electrolysis.
    Zinc sulfate
    2.35 volts
    Cadmium sulfate
    Nitrate
    Zinc bromide
    Cadmium chloride
    Orthophosphoric acid
    Nitric acid
    Caustic soda
    potash
    Lead nitrate
    Hydrochloric acid
    Silver nitrate
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

One thing that I have learned lately is that beyond a doubt total surface area and electrode conductivity has a great deal to do with minimum voltage.

What is the conductivity of KOH and NaOH so that we have a reference point?

Quote Originally Posted by velorossa22 View Post
    What is the conductivity of KOH and NaOH so that we have a reference point?
    Potash is KOH
    Caustic soda is NaOH
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    Potash is KOH
    Caustic soda is NaOH
    Potash is K2CO3 Potassium Carbonate

KOH AKA Patassium hydroxide

NAOH is Sodium hydroxide.

K2CO3, and NAOH are not preferred once people figure out that they have a high potential to release CO carbon monoxide (K2CO3) and Chlorine gas (NAOH).

Sooner or later most people end up using KOH due to its wide applicability in Hydrogen heaters, torches, and car booster systems. It has the least possibility to release poisonous gasses out of the lot.

Please take a class in Chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by ydeardorff View Post
    Potash is K2CO3 Potassium Carbonate

KOH AKA Patassium hydroxide

NAOH is Sodium hydroxide.

K2CO3, and NAOH are not preferred once people figure out that they have a high potential to release CO carbon monoxide (K2CO3) and Chlorine gas (NAOH).

Sooner or later most people end up using KOH due to its wide applicability in Hydrogen heaters, torches, and car booster systems. It has the least possibility to release poisonous gasses out of the lot.
    There is so much wrong with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    There is so much wrong with your post.
    Why is that? LOL

K2CO3 is Potash or Potassium Carbonate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_carbonate
    This has the ability to release CO and CO2 are part of the gasses, just like Baking Soda
    KOH is Potassium hydroxide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide
    Is the most widely used electrolyte in HHO cells.

NAOH is Sodium hydroxide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide
    Has the ability to recombine into Chlorine potentially releasing Chlorine gas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_production

There is nothing wrong with my Chemistry. LOL

With all due respect intended.

Why is that? LOL

K2CO3 is Potash or Potassium Carbonate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_carbonate
    This has the ability to release CO and CO2 are part of the gasses, just like Baking Soda
    KOH is Potassium hydroxide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide
    Is the most widely used electrolyte in HHO cells.

NAOH is Sodium hydroxide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide
    Has the ability to recombine into Chlorine potentially releasing Chlorine gas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_production

There is nothing wrong with my Chemistry. LOL
    I understand you are an engineering student and you are still learning. But, be cautious of Wikipedia. Understand the article and do your own research via the footnotes in the article and your own material.

I will work backwards.

NaOH does not produce Chlorine gas without the addition of NaCl in our electrolyte mix. In industry, per the wiki article you noted, NaOH is produced by the electrolysis of NaCl along with the output of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas. We use NaOH in our electrolysis cells. There is no danger of Cl gas being evolved.

The Potash will evolve CO and CO2 until the carbon is consumed at which point all that is left in solution is KOH and pure hydrogen production continues. CO and CO2 are not nerve agents, toxic in small amounts. They are ported into engines and torches in our applications anyways with the CO adding to the fuel value.

I use NaOH because it is readily available. Others on this forum use Potash. Both work well.

I started using K2CO3 initially, but switched out to KOH as I am working on a design for a home heater. I didnt want CO, nor CO2 being released in higher than normal conditions. Just consider it "being cautious".

Being that I am a student, I routinely call and talk to the professors at my local university regarding electro-chemistry, metallurgy, and chemistry to ensure I am getting my equations right.

I prefer to know what I am doing from beginning to end. Not the joe-bob six pack approach. After 20 years in the Navy as an aircraft mechanic, composite technician and specializing in reverse engineering, I like to take the slow and informed approach to things. I have been working on Hydrogen generation and electrolysis now for 17 years. I have only recently started applying theory to practical applications in the last 2 or 3.

I have been studying half reactions, chemistry, metallurgy, corrosion properties, battery design you name it.
    Making slow, informed, and educated decisions makes for a better end product, and a safer, more efficient, generator.

I started using K2CO3 initially, but switched out to KOH as I am working on a design for a home heater. I didnt want CO, nor CO2 being released in higher than normal conditions. Just consider it "being cautious".

Being that I am a student, I routinely call and talk to the professors at my local university regarding electro-chemistry, metallurgy, and chemistry to ensure I am getting my equations right.

I prefer to know what I am doing from beginning to end. Not the joe-bob six pack approach. After 20 years in the Navy as an aircraft mechanic, composite technician and specializing in reverse engineering, I like to take the slow and informed approach to things. I have been working on Hydrogen generation and electrolysis now for 17 years. I have only recently started applying theory to practical applications in the last 2 or 3.

I have been studying half reactions, chemistry, metallurgy, corrosion properties, battery design you name it.
    Making slow, informed, and educated decisions makes for a better end product, and a safer, more efficient, generator.
    I didn't ask for your resume. I just corrected your post. This forum is full of errors to the point it is almost useless. I tire of it.