Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drain cleaner

Wako216 Guest

drain cleaner

I found a drain cleaner at home depot that has both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, would this mixture work? would the additives in the cleaner screw things up andhow much of this stuff should I use im currenty running baking soda andlooking for a better electrolyte thanks

I have heard of others using the same drain cleaner. I dont know about negative side effects. I would imagine that it would be ok. Just be carful and dont breath the fumes as I am unsure if they are safe.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Wako216 Guest
    think a tea spoon per gallon or maybe a tea spoon per half gallon would be a good starting point?

lou Guest
    How did that work out for you?

hhojoe Guest
    The ones that say that they contain KOH or NaOH also contain other ingredients that you (and I...) are not aware of. There is one in particular, ROOTO, sold at Ace Hardware stores that is 100% lye. Had my first experience with it yesterday in my unit and got the best production yet and for $4-$5 for a pound it is a great bargain. Personally, I would stay away from the ones that don't specify exactly what's in them.

Is the Lye corrosive enough to eat away at plastics?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

It is corrosive enough to eat through plastics, but only in a concentrated state. The highly diluted with water version that we use is pretty safe. 1/8 teaspoon per gallon isnt enough to even burn your skin.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

hhojoe Guest
    Actually, yesterday I accidentally got splashed with a little on my arm and at 1/2 teaspoon in 7 cups of water I felt but a slight tingle. Eye coverage was and is mandatory.

How about vapors on the bench and work area? Is it a bad stench and a poison gas? - Same questions for Sodium Hydroxide.
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Fumes?

computerclinic,
    I use potassium hydroxide, and I actually opened my bottle and inhaled the stuff. The p.h. is an catalyst, so only H,O, and water vapor come out of the jar. The electrolyte keeeps getting stronger as the water is used. I only have to top off with distilled water, not electrolyte, because all of the potassium hydroxide stays in the jar.