Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drain cleaner

Fumes?

computerclinic,
    I use potassium hydroxide, and I actually opened my bottle and inhaled the stuff. The p.h. is an catalyst, so only H,O, and water vapor come out of the jar. The electrolyte keeeps getting stronger as the water is used. I only have to top off with distilled water, not electrolyte, because all of the potassium hydroxide stays in the jar.

dennis13030 Guest
    KOH or Potassium Hydroxide is toxic. Be careful with it.
    http://store.hvchemical.com/browse.cfm/4,139.html

After looking over lots of material on electrolytes, Potassium Hydroxide does seem to be the best to use(esp. with SS).

I have a couple questions.

1. What mix ratio do you use(or will use)?
    2. Where do you get it and how much is it?

Dennis13030,

I use 1/4 tsp potassium hydroxide in 30 oz of distilled in quart jar. Running 2 sets of 6, +nnnn-, my generator draws 4.5 to 5.5 amps.

AAA chemicals, 2lbs for $12.

racer88 Guest

hhojoe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    KOH or Potassium Hydroxide is toxic. Be careful with it.

1. What mix ratio do you use(or will use)?
    2. Where do you get it and how much is it?
    I'll answer ya in reverse order...

Got a 2lb tub of KOH off ebay for less than $20 delivered. It's available elsewhere for less but this was convenient. As for the amount, that really depends on the setup. For instance, I have two generators running in parallel, together they hold about 6 cups of water (they share the same 'pool' of electrolyte) and I use 1/4 teaspoon of KOH for a cold draw of 15 amps. If I run them in series I have to pump up the KOH to more than 6 times that amount to get the same amp draw. Plate spacing would also play a part in, the larger the gap the more KOH. Each genny is set up as -nnn+nnn-.

Yea, 15 amps cold is a lot but when it is hot it pulls a max of 25 and using a PWM I can dial it anywhere in between.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    Dennis13030,

I use 1/4 tsp potassium hydroxide in 30 oz of distilled in quart jar. Running 2 sets of 6, +nnnn-, my generator draws 4.5 to 5.5 amps.

AAA chemicals, 2lbs for $12.
    ridelong,

Do you know what your LPM is?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

cemkarakurt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wako216 View Post
    I found a drain cleaner at home depot that has both sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, would this mixture work? would the additives in the cleaner screw things up andhow much of this stuff should I use im currenty running baking soda andlooking for a better electrolyte thanks
    yep that is the good thing to use becouse no efect on the plates no corushion or etc. and one more thing pls use very smol amound like 1lt water use 1 or 2 tea spoon.
    more you use more amp will drouw.
    sorry about my english