Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First test results

Talking cem

When you say caustic soda, you really mean lye?

Be careful in your handling of such a chemical.

Safety
    Solid sodium hydroxide or solutions containing high concentrations of sodium hydroxide may cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness.
    Dissolution of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables.
    Sodium Hydroxide is extremely corrosive, and can react with fats and oils on skin, in a reaction which creates salts. For this reason, sodium hydroxide is very dangerous, and skin should be washed thoroughly with water following contact with this substance.

We got amazing results with epsom salts and a small amount of baking soda.

per 2L of water, 10tbsp of epsom salts, and 3 tbsp of baking soda.

We got some amazing results from 12V, 11.5Amperes

The bubbles were so fast and furious at the top of the jar, that it was pretty loud, and I wish we had a sealed environment to blow a balloon!

bagr?

I have seen the tube electrodes, aka the "TurboMax" idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzGz4ms02Vc

They work well.. but I have found so far that the production volume is directly related to the electrolyte mixture and "available" amperage of the source.

The tube is a good idea, but I think you can do better with multiple and properly designed I like to call them "Radiator" cells.

The best production I have ever seen was produced by a radiator style cell.

In an outdoor bucket, with undetermined electrolyte and god knows how much current :|

bagrman Guest
    I have read and seen where some guys use a heat control type switch that regulates the power going to the unit. You do need to put a circuit breaker in line also.

Latr
    Chris

bagrman Guest
    I have seen this guys vids before and he makes what looks like a good product, his cell is a titanim rod inside of a stainless tube. I think that either design is good and it depends a lot upon the space between the 2 electrodes for how well they produce. what makes the tube design popular is that it's easier to fit in to automobiles. I got some aluminum switch plates and I'm going to try them today to see how they do. anyone hear anything bad about useing aluminum? As for the electro lite we need to stay with backing soda as it is safe and clean. It will be only a matter of time before someone tries somthing dangerious and gets hurt.

Latr
    Chris

fosgate3 Guest
    hey... I found this forum when looking for hho forums (imagine that!) and i hope to learn from others.

I'm working with my first design which is more of a "familiarization" process for me. I'm using the stainless steal (SS) drain plates you would find in a shower, cut to fit into a 4" pvc pipe approximately 7 inches total. It's basically two female ends put together with a coupling and a cleanout cap on each end. I have a 3/8" brass fitting coming out the top of canister with 3/8 reinforced clear poly line going to a "bubbler" (or water catcher...i really dont know what the official name is) that catches any water in the flow. It is made from 1 1/2 inch (internal diameter) clear poly tube, about 5 inches of it with an inlet fitting on the bottom and outlet on the top. From there, it goes into a 1/2" line running from my intake pipe to the valve cover. I dont know if that was a good place to run it or not but it was the only line I noted coming off the intake and it seemed like a good point to put in a T and try it out.

Already, this forum has taught me something: I just read that bubbler should have cold water in it. I will remember that in my revisions.

I have a few questions that I've been trying to get help with. I am open to criticism (as long as its respectful) and suggestions so please, don't hesitate to correct me.

One of the questions I have is about electrolyte amounts. Right now, I am using baking soda as it's readily available for me. The canister holds a quart of water and I am using 1/4 teaspoon with that. It seems though, that I am getting a lot of water coming out and into the bubbler, which is bad b/c the bubbler fills up and can threaten to go into the intake. I have the canister mounted with plastic wire ties behind the grill of my 07 Saturn Ion3 and the bubbler about 2 ft away in the engine compartment. From the output of the bubbler to the T fitting in the intake line is about 15 inches. I dont know if the bubbler is filling b/c of electrolyte problems or maybe the canister needs to sit lower than the bubbler as right now they are both at the same height. I thought also that the bubbler may need to be longer.

I am interested in using the SS tubes but I dont know where to get any from. I was also curious about zinc plated metals, such as flashing used on roof jobs.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.