Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inductors to create electromagnetic fields instead of Electrodes w/ Electrolyte (R&D)

Cool Inductors to create electromagnetic fields instead of Electrodes w/ Electrolyte (R&D)

The big question really hit me last night (while in the shower where all good ideas originate)...

The BIG Question

Why is it that we struggle endlessly to create justifiable amounts of HHO with the use of a carefully balanced design of electrodes which forces us to use some form of electrolyte to allow electrical flow through the water?

It's a long complicated question, I know. Even I, the one that thought it up, had to rethink it a few times over to really get the full weight of it. Basically, I feel that the very basis of our designs are flawed on many levels, and I'd like to do something about that. Let me explain...

Having the electrical current flow through the water does nothing at all to produce HHO directly. In fact, we call it "Voltage Leak" and it makes us squirm in our skin until we limit it every way we can. Electric flow though the water produces heat and makes units boil over, which we ALL know is one of the BIGGEST limiting factors we face. But due to design, having the currect flow through the water is a necessary evil, because it's the water between the plates that completes the connection, which creates the electromagnetic fields ...

- STOP right there!! -
    It's the Electromagnetic Fields that we are after? That's what rips the H2O apart, right? That's the whole reason why we use the electrode plates.
    So why not build an electrode that gives us the best magnetic field that we can get out of it?

Why not use...
    Induction Production

Ok, I got a little goofy with that one, but it's a valid idea. Coils of wire around a iron core produce an electromagnetic field without needing to transfer electricity through the water, which would mean that we would no longer use electrolyte. In fact, we could use the pure distilled water as an insulator, which is what naturally is anyway.

If you need to read up on what an Inductor is, here's a great multi page write-up with good pics.
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/inductor.htm

Like I said, I just had this idea less than 20 hours ago, so I don't have a good design drawn up yet. But I would like to hear your knowledge or follow any links you have on existing designs similar to this.

On the research list:
    1. Core materials usable while submerged in distiled water
    2. Core materials usable that are non-reactive to hydrogen or oxygen
    3. Can we use Copper wire and an Iron core (optimum efficiency and very cost effective)
    4. Calculation for thickness of wire compaired to length of wire compared to amount of wraps around core compared to length of coil.
    5. Optimum configuration for inductors to create alternating magnetic fields
    6. Outer housing and inner bracing

More coming soon, including test video...

Blinger101 Guest
    Interesting theory/concept. From what I understand, are you proposing the induction generator look something like this:

*inductor coil shamelessly taken from the example picture in the link provided *

The one major drawback I can see right now is rust. Iron + Water = Bad.

Good thinking though.

Here's more technical information on Inductors, and they cover Oscillators too.
    http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/p.../induction.htm

Gary Diamond Guest
    Sorry but we don't make a electromagnetic field. Put some iron next to your cell, if it does not feel like a magnet then its not a electromagnetic field

Quote Originally Posted by Blinger101 View Post
    Interesting theory/concept. From what I understand, are you proposing the induction generator look something like this:

*inductor coil shamelessly taken from the example picture in the link provided *

The one major drawback I can see right now is rust. Iron + Water = Bad.

Good thinking though.
    Yes, kinda, but with at the very least two inductors, but more like a full array of inductors.
    I would need to align the inductors so they go +-+-+-+- for the proper magnetic drag on the water.

Yea, Iron + Water = RUST
    I need to either figure out what to add to the water, or coat the iron with, to keep the rust away. Might be as easy as painting the core

Or use a different, magnetically optimum, easy to acquire material.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diamond View Post
    Sorry but we don't make a electromagnetic field. Put some iron next to your cell, if it does not feel like a magnet then its not a electromagnetic field
    No?
    From all I've learned so far, that's what is happening between the electrode plates. The Hydrogen is attracted to the negative side, and the Oxygen is attracted to the positive. That basically rips the bond apart.

If not, please explain to me what is really happening.

Blinger101 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSquid View Post
    If not, please explain to me what is really happening.
    http://witcombe.sbc.edu/water/chemis...ctrolysis.html

Gives a quick jist of what happens to the H2O molecules when energy (in the form of electricity) is applied to it. There's no mention of any 'electro-magnetism' going on. It all has to do with the fact that Hydrogen atoms are positively charged, and Oxygen atoms are negatively charged, which explains why the H's go to the negative sides of the plates and the O's go to the positive sides of the plates in a cell (wet or dry).

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSquid View Post
    The big question really hit me last night (while in the shower where all good ideas originate)...
    Firstly,

I MUST STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!!!

...all good ideas are thought of on the toilet... NOT in the shower!

There is magnetism in an HHO cell, anywhere there is an electronic field, there will be a magnetic one. This is why our vehicles go faster with HHO, they are magnetically attracted to the car in front.

But seriously, splitting water is all about energy. We put energy into the water that is enough to overcome the bond between the hydrogen and the oxygen and the electrical charge of the plates separates the three atoms, preventing them from re-joining again.

What we DO need to do is to find a more efficient way of getting the energy into the water. Heat is one way. We need to find more. Is there any energy, of the kind we need in magnetism? Possibly.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Gary Diamond Guest
    That's why when the gasket material is thinner, it takes less energy to break down the water, but of course to a point.

[QUOTE=Blinger101;26041]Interesting theory/concept. From what I understand, are you proposing the induction generator look something like this:

ElectricSquid has the right idea, however, Blinger101, the wrong applicatiion.

Take your pvc tube, wind the coils around the outside, cap an end,add electrolyte, cap other end, turn on the juice,,,

As explained in pretty god detail here,,,, http://altenergy.site90.com/hunter.htm

And for those who belive seeing is believing,,, http://oupower.com/index.php?dir=_Ot...20Electrolyser

PatL
    You'll never know unless you TRY !