Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on eBay PWM

Drafty:
    Don't use spade designs, PERIOD.
    that PWM I was talking about, it was being used on a "WET-CELL" and I was trying to get things set to ONLY run at 20 Amps. I was in a learning stage with PWM's (still am for that matter).

I have since, basically abandoned the Wet-Cells, and concentrating my attention on DRY-CELLS. I am still dabbling on the wet cells, but that's not my main focus.

Basically put, as Phil put it, NO SPADES. I know I won't encounter that issue again. Too bad I didn't know it back then.

There are Plenty of ZERO's Replicas out there. As of Now, I know of none Better (Well, MAYBE Phils, but I'm not sure his "HULK" Is publically available YET)
    Do the research, you'll find what you need.
    96 E-250 4.9L, 100,000 Miles.
    12.5 MPG Befor HHO
    16.5 (Best) after HHO.
    Modified Smack Gen I Cell.

85 BMW 524TD
    26-32MPH
    HHO Coming soon

A TOOL Is only as GOOD as it's operator. If the Operator DON'T KNOW How to work it, The TOOL WON'T WORK

Doing the research...
    Learned quite a bit so far - mostly from other people's mistakes. I'm sure I'll make a few clangers before too long though.

Cheers,
    Drafty.

Ebay PWM review

I purchased a 35amp True RMS PWM off of ebay, and am very happy with it. with the right KOH/water mix, and fine tuning of the PWM duty cycle, I can keep my cell nice an cool. I spent $35 dollars, and have no complaints. I will need to purchase a larger more heavy duty model (possibly the ZeroFF or the one listed above for 200amps, for the installation of multiple cells on my truck.
    Also, I want people to know size DOESNT matter with HHO cells. I have tested 4", 6" dry cells, and small/large wet cells, and have came to the conclusion that size really doesnt matter. The only difference is that larger cells need more amps for the SAME LPM output! This is only true for automotive 12v applications. 120v/240v, applications are different because of the higher voltage/lower amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyn View Post
    So, any results on Real world users of these Yet???
    I purchased a PCU-3 (50 amp)from Bill Corless at Hydrogen Fuel Systems in Waianae HI. After I installed it the PCU-3 would only dial up to around 6 amps and made a high pitched humming noise. I sent it back and after over a dozen emails and almost a month later he shipped the repaired unit back. I had to pay the shipping both ways. When I got it all installed and switched on my HHO system it would only dial/adjust up to 12 amps and then within a few seconds it made the same high pitched hum and went dead.

At that point I no longer wanted to deal with that product (PCU-3) along with the poor communications and slow service. I asked for a refund and Bill Refused and only offered to send me yet another unit. After my experiences with him I no longer wanted to deal with his products. I was more then patient but I have to draw the line somewhere.

So as it stands now Bill Has my money and I have a dead PWM. If Bill decides to step up and do the right and honorable thing I will post that also.

Right now a complaint has been filed with the Better Business Bureau and the State of Hawaii Attorney Generals Office.

If anyone else has had a better experience with a different PWM please let me know. I am back to square one in finding a good 30-50 amp unit. My system is fused for 30 amps and pulls 12 amps during bench testing. I need a 50 amp unit so I can expand or try different systems in the future and not have to buy another PWM.

So, any results on Real world users of these Yet???

This message is in response to Brent's post. It is our policy not to offer refunds, but we will bend over backward to make it right for him.
    If there was something wrong with any of our PWM's even if the user breaks them by overloading them etc., we fix them or replace them for free.
    As far as I know, no other PWM maker makes that offer.
    I asked him how many amps his cell was drawing, but he wont answer. He did send it back and we didn't get it repaired right away, that is because we were very far behind on orders, and my apologies to him for that.
    I found that he had burned out the two traces on the board. I repaired it and sent it back to him.
    He says it burned out again, so I offered to upgrade him to the new PCU-4 which has a much more robust power handling, and that it works 12 - 24 volts. Rather than taking advantage of a real solution, he chooses instead to post negative comments on this forum.
    I'm still willing to fix it for free.
    Bill
    Hydrogen Fuel Systems.

I posted my experiences which are very different then negative comments and will be taking further action with PayPal, the Hawaii Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau.

Given my past two experiences with your product I do not want any more of them. That is no longer a viable settlement offer. It's up to you to do the right thing and refund my money so I can buy another unit from another manufacturer.

Even with a refund I will still be out $42 in shipping. Can you see why I need to cut my loses now?

Quote Originally Posted by drumacc View Post
    Found this site with the same unit as a DC motor control. I don't think that unit is really designed with hho optimization in mind...?

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=581
    Many so called sellers on eBay and elsewhere who sell PWMs do not have even a little idea on what they sell and how the PWM modules do work. What they do is simply resell somebody's product.

For example http://www.canakit.com/ has their own 50A PWM that is very affordable in price and well designed. I bought one and tried it. BWT, other guys sell it as their own product on eBay!

Keep in mind that most stock PWM units are Motor Control devices (http://www.canakit.com/electronic-ki...or-controllers) and the mosfets work OK in any duty cycle driving motors, but not close to 0 Ohms HHO Cells that put huge load on the power rail...

Here is the direct link to manufacturer page - http://www.canakit.com/50a-dc-pwm-mo...ontroller.html
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

Thanks for the link. That looks like it would not be too tough of a kit to tackle. And the board layout would make for easy component replacement. Although I would not use spade connectors for hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Thanks for the link. That looks like it would not be too tough of a kit to tackle. And the board layout would make for easy component replacement. Although I would not use spade connectors for hook up.
    In about a month or so my SMART HHO CELL electronics will be ready. It includes heavy duty dual PWM for 200+ AMP with digital current and temperature control. )))))))))
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

On my entire HHO system that I built completely from scratch, the only component that didn't work was the one I did not build (PWM). So a kit sounds like the route I should pursue to cut my failure exposure. Dad and gramps both professed that if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.