Thread: what are you using for ignition relay

what are you using for ignition relay

I wondering what everyone is using for an ignition relay? I have a relay that I think is for a Ford starter relay from an older model ford truck. The problem with it is that it once in a while stay magnitized when turned off and continues to have the generator run while the car is off. Needless to say that it doesn't take long to come back to a dead battery and a ****ed wife.
    Maybe a solid state relay wouldn't do that?
    Also what do you use to measure the temp of the electrolyte? Does anyone use a mechanical thermostat run into the passenger compartment so that it can be monitored while driving? If so how would a guy seal it in the resevior?

V22 here's a link to get 60 amp relays for under $10.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html

A starter relay will burn out fairly quickly because they're not continuous duty.

I don't use a relay anymore.

I purchased an 'add-a-line' from NAPA and installed it in the ignition source from my fuse box, this effectively adds another fuse to the same source. I use this new fuse run to power my PWM. Works great.

I had the same issues with relays.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    Only thing is you cannot do that with a ZFF PWM as disconnecting the + from it and not the cell will cause it to act like a voltage multiplier (40+V) and burn up your PWM.......
    Ouch!

I did have overrun issues with this setup at first, my engine would keep going when I'd removed the key. I fixed this by taking alpha-dog's advice and removing the diodes.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

drumacc Guest

Auto Zone relay

Any generic relay of th eproper amperage will work. I grabbed mine at Auto Zone for 3.99.

Found a nice little gadget there also called a "add a circuit" I think it was called that allows you to piggyback onto an existing circuit in your fusebox - 2.49 I think that was.

Hey thanks for the response guys!
    Do the "add a line" have a limit to the amount of amperage ( like wire sizing)?
    I'll have to swing by Napa and take a look. The relay I bought was like $15! But then it looks heavy duty.
    BTW it might have given up the ghost b/c I couldn't get the generator to power up this morning and the fuse was intact. Hmmm...
    Also what gauge wire are you using? I'm wanting to ramp it up to about 30-40A (instead of 10-15) and I'm thinking 12Ga is too small ( large drop in voltage). Do you think 10ga would suffice or should I bump it up to 8ga?