Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas flow meter

dennis13030 Guest
    These flow meters are not calibrated for HHO. I am sure there is a difference but I think it would very, very small.

rzone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    These flow meters are not calibrated for HHO. I am sure there is a difference but I think it would very, very small.
    For practical purpose the error is too small to make a difference (by coincidence if you add the atomic mass of the components you'll get close enough to content of air - O2, CO2, NOx etc). The thermal error is 5-6x time bigger than this.

For lab measuring purposes you can easily build a device similar to flow meter that you probably have in your car. It looks like this: a piece of Cro-Ni metal wire used in electrical heaters placed in a tube and powered by a constant current source. The voltage across the wire is directly proportional with lpm. Only thing you have to do is to tweak a little bit to find the linear part of the wire and calibrate it.You can also smash a light bulb and use the filament. The electronics within is trivial, and you can use a digital voltmeter to measure the output.
    If you want to play with this I'll send you drawing details and principles

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rzone View Post
    For lab measuring purposes you can easily build a device similar to flow meter that you probably have in your car. It looks like this: a piece of Cro-Ni metal wire used in electrical heaters placed in a tube and powered by a constant current source. The voltage across the wire is directly proportional with lpm. Only thing you have to do is to tweak a little bit to find the linear part of the wire and calibrate it.You can also smash a light bulb and use the filament. The electronics within is trivial, and you can use a digital voltmeter to measure the output.
    If you want to play with this I'll send you drawing details and principles
    Please do send me the drawing details and principles.

JonDoh Guest
    I found these for a few bucks:

http://www.tagamed.com/tagaliter.html

Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Kinds related to this thread,

Does anyone know of a low cost device that measures gas flow AND can be read digitally by a PC??
    Not sure about low cost, but the Dwyer website you gave earlier does have these:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...m?Group_ID=369

in case the link goes bad...

Series GFM Gas Mass Flow Meters combine a straight tube sensor with a restrictor flow element to provide high accuracy and repeatability. Flow rates are virtually unaffected by temperature and pressure variations. Actual gas flow is displayed in engineering units on a 3-1/2 digit, 90° tiltable LCD readout. Units can be used with Series GFT Flow Totalizer for applications requiring totalization. Series GFM includes a NIST traceable certificate.

The model GFM-2109 is rated for 0-5 LPM, is made of 316 SS, and has an RS-232 output for computer use.

And while this is exactly what we need... I am sure it cost a pretty penny. (they don't give a price)

Edit: Finally found the price... $947.00 Any of you rich people want to buy me one? :-)
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Not sure about low cost, but the Dwyer website you gave earlier does have these:

in case the link goes bad...

Series GFM Gas Mass Flow Meters combine a straight tube sensor with a restrictor flow element to provide high accuracy and repeatability. Flow rates are virtually unaffected by temperature and pressure variations. Actual gas flow is displayed in engineering units on a 3-1/2 digit, 90° tiltable LCD readout. Units can be used with Series GFT Flow Totalizer for applications requiring totalization. Series GFM includes a NIST traceable certificate.

The model GFM-2109 is rated for 0-5 LPM, is made of 316 SS, and has an RS-232 output for computer use.

And while this is exactly what we need... I am sure it cost a pretty penny. (they don't give a price)

Edit: Finally found the price... $947.00 Any of you rich people want to buy me one? :-)
    Thank you very much! This is a key item in the automated testing and optimization of HHO electrolyzers.

JonDoh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post

Finally found the price... $947.00 Any of you rich people want to buy me one? :-)
    I second that!

Sweet unit!!

fly Guest
    Well, Liter of air or Liter of HHO is still a liter of gas... So basically you have a volume per minute reading from the device.

My thoughts on this though are a little deeper:

Gas is easily compressed with pressure. Does those units mentioned on the links posted take pressure into account? if I have a 2 atm pressure in my line, I will basically have double the amount of molecules per volume than if I have 1 atm...

My question really is: Is there an AFFORDABLE Measuring instrument that can tell me the exact volume at 1 atm I am producing regardless of the pressure the gas is actually flowing through it (ie, it would detect the actual presssure, then figure out what teh volume would be at 1 atm or would have a pressure gage built in to let me know what is the pressure the gas flow was registered at?