Quote Originally Posted by Genchaos View Post
Hrein Energy Successfully Test Drives 1.2L Vehicle With Retrofitted Organic Hydride System
February 29, 2008

The organic hydride dehydrogenation reactor is mounted inline in the exhaust system. Click to enlarge.
Hrein Energy, in cooperation with Futaba Industrial Co., Ltd, ITO Racing Service Co. Ltd.. and Dr. Ichikawa Masaru, a professor emeritus of Hokkaido University, has successfully test-driven a 1.2-liter Nissan March retrofitted with an on-board organic hydride system (earlier post) that delivers supplemental hydrogen to the gasoline engine.

Adding several percent of hydrogen dehydrogenated from the organic hydride to the intake air supported very lean-burn combustion. Fuel efficiency was improved by 30%; CO2 emissions were cut by 30%; and concentrations of CO and NOx were “considerably reduced”, according to the company.

You can read more on this at http://www.greencarcongress.com/h2/index.html

These guys must be nuts! 30% increase in fuel savings?? Next we'll be reading that we're NOT wackos!

More details at this website http://www.hrein.jp/english/pressrelease/index.htm

They appear to be doing what we are but generate the hydrogen a different way.
Nice find!
They "dehydrogenate" a complex organic compound while we are "dehydrogenating" water. Their target rate was 3 cubic meters per hour, or 3000 liters per hour, which is 50 liters per minute, for a 1.2 liter engine. There's the challenge...for my Hemi I would need 5X that, or 250 lpm...I need the ghost of Stan Meyer to help me with this one!

The next article in the Green car congress was also interesting...

"A memo prepared by the Santa Clara Valley (California) Transportation Authority (VTA) for the Transportation and Planning Committee of its Board of Directors reports that the average total operating cost per mile of the agency’s three hydrogen fuel cell buses is $51.66—32 times the average total cost per mile for the conventional diesel fleet."

Unless the patrons are willing to pay 32 times the current bus fee, the VTA ought to put hho reactors on their diesel buses, which would clean up the air, drive down the current cost of operation(instead of 32X up)and forget about Al Gore's scam on CO2. Plant more trees and let photosynthesis handle the heat and CO2. Get a nice canopy of green over all those urban parking lots and the globe would cool right down...IMHO, of course!

As Roy McAlister said so eloquently, there are 800 million engines around the world right now, and the diesel is the most efficient engine created. Just improve the efficiency of the current engines with hydrogen, rather than replacing them, and you will have cleaner air and immediate fuel savings. And he is a fuel cell expert.