Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternating polarity to dislodge gas

Alternating polarity to dislodge gas

On my way to work this afternoon, I was thinking about the situation of the hydrogen and oxygen bubbles being attracted to the electrodes and the subsequent issues with getting the newly created O and H molecules to let go of the electrodes and head off to where we need it. The main attracting factor (please correct me if needed, this is just an idea) seems to be the polarity, i.e. we know that the O is attracted to the positive electrode and the H to the negative.

What if a system was built that alternated the polarity of the electrodes, i.e. continually swapping which electrodes got the positive feed and which got the negative. My thought here is that when the polarity changed, the H and O molecules would then be attracted to the opposite electrode. If the switch was only for a few microseconds, this might effectively dislodge the molecules and start them on their way to the intake manifold.

I was thinking that it could be as simple as alternating the polarity for just a microsecond every second. A circuit of some description may be required, I even thought about a simpler solution using a rotor and brushes.

Has anyone else thought about this or tried it? Does anyone have any input or thoughts to share?

Russ.

I posted the same question about a week ago here.I know what you mean and i'm positive it would clear the plates and allow more surface area for electrolysis. i've searched for a solid state device that could glitch a reverse polarity for a split second but have come up empty.I supose you could use relays wired up reverse polarity . getting one to close and the other to open for a split second and than switch back .

I considered the relay idea, but then also thought that the rate of switching would probably mean a very short life. I also thought about a rotor and brushes idea, where a spinning rotor with contact on the ends of a 'propeller' would brush against contacts. Only drawback to this idea I can think of is that it would be introducing a 'sparky' environment, probably close to our hydrogen.

Atechguy Guest
    Why not just use small inverter and leave it on all the time higher voltage lower amps. I thought i read some one tried it and it produces lots of Hydrogen .Just a thought.

mikestrikes Guest
    When I first tested HHO I used ALUM plates, one stay'd clean while the other got corroded and just gunky................. I swap'd leads to clean it off and it worked for that and seemed to knock off the bubbles.

So if we could have a set of relays and once a second swap polarity yes I see this working.....

Make the swap fast but keep it at that for a full second then swap back I think would do the best. But I'm wrong alot...

It's funny that you should mention aluminum plates, I went to Home Depot this morning on my way to work, only had about 10 minutes to spare and wanted to pick up some plates. I got to work and took a closer look and realized that I'd just wasted $11.35 on 10 ALUMINUM plates, not stainless steel. Annoying as I'm on a really tight budget here.

From what I've read about another HHO discovery, some guy worked out that aluminum will react with water to generate HHO without an electrical current, this is probably why you're getting the gunking.

Article is here: http://www.physorg.com/news98556080.html

I'm still thinking pretty hard about how to facilitate the polarity switching.

timetowinarace Guest
    Aluminum, water and an acid(usually drain cleaner) will produce lots of hho. The mix is very volatile, hot and leaves a mess to clean up.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I'm still thinking pretty hard about how to facilitate the polarity switching.
    You could use a couple high power solid state relays but it will cost quite a bit$$$$. This will not "SHAKE" or "VIBRATE" anything though.

Talking

My two cents on this is as follows. Switching the polarity of the plates will hurt production. If you watch the liquid while the unit is running, you will notice that the water is moving. What you are seeing is the magnetic pull of the oxygen and hydrogen particles. The hydrogen molecules are attracted to the negative plate and the oxygen to the positive. While switching polarity may knock off the bubbles that are stuck, it will probably hurt overall production. Once the polarity switch is made, the magnetic field will change directions which means the water will have to slow, then reverse its direction. I have read something similar to this recently, I just cant remember the location of the article. Of course I could be smoking crack, and dont know WTF I am talking about too......
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

mikestrikes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous
    Of course I could be smoking crack, and dont know WTF I am talking about too......
    Pass it over would ya !

You sure the water isnt moving with the flow of bubbles as they go up ?