Thread: Electroyte Temprature vs amps...........

billyoneball Guest

Cool Electroyte Temprature vs amps...........

Hi,ive built various designs but im on the smack booster at the moment,the question is whats the relationship between water temprature and current draw,when i set my electrolyte mixture up the water temp is about 60fht and pulling about 15amps within 10mins of running temp gone up to 90fht and 27 amps after about 20 mins 30 amp trip goes .
    ive read that the ideal elecrolyte temp is 140fht so do you think you need to pre warm your solution when you set up the elecrolyte, or is there a calculation you can do to work out water temp at setting up vs amp draw.
    i may have this all wrong but im getting over 1 ltr per min at 15 amps just cant keep it goin for more than 20 mins.

Cheers ....

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by billyoneball View Post
    Hi,ive built various designs but im on the smack booster at the moment,the question is whats the relationship between water temprature and current draw,when i set my electrolyte mixture up the water temp is about 60fht and pulling about 15amps within 10mins of running temp gone up to 90fht and 27 amps after about 20 mins 30 amp trip goes .
    ive read that the ideal elecrolyte temp is 140fht so do you think you need to pre warm your solution when you set up the elecrolyte, or is there a calculation you can do to work out water temp at setting up vs amp draw.
    i may have this all wrong but im getting over 1 ltr per min at 15 amps just cant keep it goin for more than 20 mins.

Cheers ....
    Whatever chemical(s) you are using in the water, just back them off a bit. Use less added chemical.

As the temperature rises inside the bath, the electrolyte becomes more conductive. With more conduction there is more current. With more current the temperature rises. This positive feedback continues until a maximum conduction limit is reached.

I don't think there is a formula yet. Just remember these three things.
    1. More heat leads to more current.
    2. More current leads to more heat.
    3. The way to set the limit for both is the amount of added chemicals.

Less chemicals = less current = less heat

The easiest way to set your amp draw is as follows.
    1. Heat the distilled water to your maximum desired temp
    2. put the heated water into the electrolyzer
    3. in a small bottle, mix several teaspoons of your electrolyte with water
    4. slowly pour water/chemical mixture into the hot electrolyzer until you reach you maximum desiered amperage.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by billyoneball View Post

Cheers ....
    billyoneball,

Can I ask what electrolyte you are using?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.