Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular or Premium

vjm530 Guest

Regular or Premium

Hello Everyone,

I have a '97 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 v8 that requires that I 'always' use Premium gas. I am installing a double Electrolizer Generator HHO setup with a MAF Sensor Enhansor to get the maximum benefit. It has been suggested that I should be able to use Regular fuel once the system is installed properly. Does anyone have any comments, support or suggestions about the switch to Regular? Thanks for all and any 'positive' feedback.

I may be mistaken, but the difference between regular and premium gas is basically the compression ratio that it takes to ignite the fuel. The higher the compression ratio of the engine, the higher the octane rating of the fuel needed. The addition of hydrogen which I believe is considered to have an octane rating of 130 to 140, would probably offset the need for higher octane fuel.

I took this off wiki:
    Hydrogen represents a paradox. As a fuel outright, it has low knock resistance[2][3], due to its low ignition energy (primarily due to its low dissociation energy) and extremely high flame speed. However, as a minor blending component (i.e., a bi-fuel vehicle), hydrogen raises overall knock resistance. Flame speed is limited by the rest of the component species; hydrogen may reduce knock by contributing its high thermal conductivity
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

vjm530 Guest

Regular or Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I may be mistaken, but the difference between regular and premium gas is basically the compression ratio that it takes to ignite the fuel. The higher the compression ratio of the engine, the higher the octane rating of the fuel needed. The addition of hydrogen which I believe is considered to have an octane rating of 130 to 140, would probably offset the need for higher octane fuel.

I took this off wiki:
    Hydrogen represents a paradox. As a fuel outright, it has low knock resistance[2][3], due to its low ignition energy (primarily due to its low dissociation energy) and extremely high flame speed. However, as a minor blending component (i.e., a bi-fuel vehicle), hydrogen raises overall knock resistance. Flame speed is limited by the rest of the component species; hydrogen may reduce knock by contributing its high thermal conductivity
    Thanks for your feedback. Though it sounds a bit technical for me to understand (wiki) it sounds very encouraging.

wikipedia=wiki
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Omega Guest
    I read somewhere that HHO eliminates knocking (whether detonation or pre-ignition, I don't know) and that exhaust temperatures are reduced. Pre-ignition can be caused by carbon buildup and HHO is known to eliminate carbon buildup.

Since HHO seems to act like a combustion enhancer, it may very well eliminate the need for higher octane fuel.

It all seems good, to me.

Be Smart...

The core differences between Regular (87 Octane) and Premium (91+ Octane) is not only the Octane, but mostly anti-knock and detergents that make a HUGE difference. If your car says "Use Premium Gasoline Only" Like both of mine do, do NOT put anything else in, or the Engine computer will see the octane level and put your car into what is called "Limp mode" which is to get you to the next service station so you can put the right gas into the car. The MPG will suffer enormously in Limp mode.

I ran a tank of Regular and clocked the KM/tank on a full tank, and got WAY more power, and also an extra 80-100KM per tank with premium. (More on highway)

vjm530 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TeknikL View Post
    The core differences between Regular (87 Octane) and Premium (91+ Octane) is not only the Octane, but mostly anti-knock and detergents that make a HUGE difference. If your car says "Use Premium Gasoline Only" Like both of mine do, do NOT put anything else in, or the Engine computer will see the octane level and put your car into what is called "Limp mode" which is to get you to the next service station so you can put the right gas into the car. The MPG will suffer enormously in Limp mode.

I ran a tank of Regular and clocked the KM/tank on a full tank, and got WAY more power, and also an extra 80-100KM per tank with premium. (More on highway)
    What about the fact that I would be running a HHO system as I have described and the comments of the other posters above?

Tekneek Guest
    The computer would see it with the knock sensor that many cars are equipped with. I don't know from experience yet because my premium requiring car hasn't had the HHO hooked up yet. I was hoping that I could pass up the premium myself when I install everything.

vjm530 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    The computer would see it with the knock sensor that many cars are equipped with. I don't know from experience yet because my premium requiring car hasn't had the HHO hooked up yet. I was hoping that I could pass up the premium myself when I install everything.
    I'm running the middle range (89) octane with no problems.

hi vjm530, where do u live? what altitude above sea level?
    its a fact than as altitude above sea level of the city where a car is driven increases, the need of higher octane gasoline decreases. so depending on that, you can make a mix of both types of gasoline to obtain an average of octane level; besides, what is the compresion ratio of your engine?.
    with that information i could help u to calculate if is possible to do the mix and which proportions.