Thread: cell leakage

cell leakage

Hey just wondering if anyone has had problems with their cell leaking after a long drive. I tighten the bolts ( with lock washers) very tight, but the heat seems to make the 1/2 plexiglass warp slightly and so weaking the tightness of the bolts. How do you guys run your bolts through the cell so you don't experience this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by velorossa22 View Post
    Hey just wondering if anyone has had problems with their cell leaking after a long drive. I tighten the bolts ( with lock washers) very tight, but the heat seems to make the 1/2 plexiglass warp slightly and so weaking the tightness of the bolts. How do you guys run your bolts through the cell so you don't experience this problem?
    Try thicker end pieces. I know it is a pain and a little costly but with thicker end pieces you should not have any problems.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.

How hot is your system getting?

If you want a real good end material. You should look at phenolic, 3/8" should last longer than your life time.

If you must have clear ends, plexiglass and Cell-cast acrylic look the same but cell cast holds up to heat a little better 3/4 or 1" should hold up.

Question Why use plastic?

The Amoeba Cell is made with 100% stainless steel plates, screws and nuts; except for the 1/32" Neoprene gaskets.

Nothing to bend or soften and no LEAKS.

Besides, plastic end plates take up valuable space.

Why use plastic?

BoyntonStu

It's a good practice to let your cell heat up to it's max temperature and then tighten down the bolts.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

How are you guys checking cell temps?
    Also how are you using stainless end plates without causing dead short? I like the idea but not sure how to put it into effect.
    I've been using 1/2 plexiglass and I thought it should be thick enough and I like the ability to see inside the cell. But leakage issues are majorly annoying
    My cell is probably getting too hot but really how hot is too hot?
    Also do you think increased heat causes additional KOH into vapor?

How are you guys checking cell temps?
    Also how are you using stainless end plates without causing dead short? I like the idea but not sure how to put it into effect.
    I've been using 1/2 plexiglass and I thought it should be thick enough and I like the ability to see inside the cell. But leakage issues are majorly annoying
    My cell is probably getting too hot but really how hot is too hot?
    Also do you think increased heat causes additional KOH into vapor?
    Stainless end plates will not be a problem unless you are running a PWM. The PWM's that are available all have N channel fets. They pulse the negative lead. With negative end plates there is too much a chance that they will ground and make your PWM ineffective. If you are running no PWM then Stainless end plates would be ideal. You would have 1 less wire to run by simpli grounging the cell. You should try to keep your cell under 140 degrees to avoid boiling off the HHO. Try using an infared thermometer to check the temp. The simplest solution would to be to switch to 1" UHMW end plates.

Larry
    2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Nismo. 12 MPG baseline with my normal commute and heavy stop and go daily driving. Generator installed and working on 3/29/2009

Up to 14.5 MPG with no enhancers. Still testing the effects of lots of HHO and no electronic enhancers.