Thread: Lexan Box...

mikestrikes Guest

Lexan Box...

Anyone got one they tested with and not use'n now for really cheap so I can test.....

And what would someone her charge me to build my working fuel cell ?

I want it to end up like a 12x12x16 single chamber with bolt on lid.

The lid I'd want a small box made onto it as a gas/water separator as it will be mounted in my Honda CRV's hatch back.

No holes drilled so I can put them as needed.

Send me the exact specs and what and I can price it for you. I currently build cells using polycarbonate...aka lexan.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

polycarbonate

Do you have problems with heat and melting?

Quote Originally Posted by TeknikL View Post
    Do you have problems with heat and melting?
    No, Polycarbonate is stable up to 270°F. It is alot better than PVC and acrylic
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

fly Guest
    I might have one soon, 4" ABS pipe about 16" tall, but I need to keep the bubbler. That would be for the full the cell assembly (304 S-Steel plates inside, 3/8 fitting and connectors etc.). I still need to experiment further though, so I'd need a few weeks, probably around end of August I'd be ready to part with it.
    I can mail you pics if you are interested, not sure about price yet, put a lot of efforts into it, but want to streamline my design, so it will become obsolete to me in some time.
    Plates are 4" by 12" minus 3 x 1" notch so roughly 44 sq in between plates. Running now with only 2 plates at 7-9 amps with no electrolyte (only tap water). Got only 2 plates hooked up now, but there are 4 in the unit, planning to test with 3 and 4 plates to compare results... That's up to 132 sq in of surface that you can space at will for the electrolysis process. I have them spaced now at about 1/8 in because of the high amp rating as I diminish the spacing.

NOTE: fits very well in my Honda Civic DX 2000 (Hatchback) !!!

Let me know if you are still in the market, but as I said, I need to experiment further before I part with the unit.

hhocaprice Guest
    ya my 4" pvc container gets really hot, and the fittings are starting to melt into the plastic............

Hey Stratous,

Are you using IPS#16 solvent to bond the polycarb? If so, do you have any tips on using it? The stuff is pretty messy and I'd like to do a more professional job eventually. Also, isn't IPS#16 only good to 180 *F?