Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll... What is your 12 volt DC source?

Poll... What are you using for a 12 battery test source?

Poll...
    What are you using for a 12 battery test source?

In your car, your HHO generator will receive approximately 13.8 volts DC with no 60 cycle AC ripple.

1. A 12 volt battery on a work bench

2. A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a trickle battery charger hooked to it

3. A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a high current battery charger hooked to it

4. A 12 volt power supply that can support 20 amps

5. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 20 amps

6. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 50 amps

7. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 100 amps

8. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

9. A 1.5 volt to 15 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

What is AC ripple? it's Alternating current It can vary depending how much current your pulling from your supply, another reason your data can be off, and why is it bad, is because it's not in the engine and would give you false results on a bench test. Your engine uses pure DC so why not use a test set up using pure DC

Exclamation

[QUOTE=HHO BLASTER;27478]Poll...
    What are you using for a 12 battery test source?

6. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 50 amps

With no AC ripple.

Hats off to you if you can offer:

9. A 1.5 volt to 15 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

I would be very impressed.

BoyntonStu

3 or 7 or none of the above.
    Variable current Battery charger 12-19 volts (depending on which charging mode used) up to 200 amps

Looking forward to more on the 1-15 volt 100 amp unit .

Hate to say it, unless you are using a straight battery, there will always be some form of AC ripple voltage on any DC power supply. Some are better than others. Generally, if you have less than 10mv of ripple voltage, you have a decent power supply.

Even batteries will sometimes show a ripple voltage depending on how long your leads are from the battery and how much RFI is in your area. Though, technically that wouldn't be considered ripple voltage, it just looks like it.

Ripple voltage is easy to measure, if you have an oscilloscope. Otherwise you probably don't need to worry about it.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Hate to say it, unless you are using a straight battery, there will always be some form of AC ripple voltage on any DC power supply. Some are better than others. Generally, if you have less than 10mv of ripple voltage, you have a decent power supply.

Even batteries will sometimes show a ripple voltage depending on how long your leads are from the battery and how much RFI is in your area. Though, technically that wouldn't be considered ripple voltage, it just looks like it.

Ripple voltage is easy to measure, if you have an oscilloscope. Otherwise you probably don't need to worry about it.
    Radio freq. ripple is not a HHO problem but if you are using a battery charger you might have 1 volt peak to peak of low freq 60 cycles ripple or even higher. The more current you drain the more ripple, throw a 5,000ufd across the output and forget about RFI

I checked my 60 cycle ripple on my home made supply with my scope and at 50 amps it's about 1MV P-P

Quote Originally Posted by HHO BLASTER View Post
    Radio freq. ripple is not a HHO problem but if you are using a battery charger you might have 1 volt peak to peak of low freq 60 cycles ripple or even higher. The more current you drain the more ripple, throw a 5,000ufd across the output and forget about RFI
    Even a 1V P-P (~.7 RMS) wouldn't be too much of a concern with HHO. As long as your cell design is such that you have an average of 2V plate gap on a 12V system. Which was sort of my point. Ripple voltage isn't really that big of an issue with HHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HHO BLASTER View Post
    I checked my 60 cycle ripple on my home made supply with my scope and at 50 amps it's about 1MV P-P
    I hope you meant 1mV P-P... 1MV is a bit much
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Even a 1V P-P (~.7 RMS) wouldn't be too much of a concern with HHO. As long as your cell design is such that you have an average of 2V plate gap on a 12V system. Which was sort of my point. Ripple voltage isn't really that big of an issue with HHO.

I hope you meant 1mV P-P... 1MV is a bit much
    Yes, thanks for the correction, i meant 1 mv pp. i also have a dimmer switch in the primary of the MOT and it has a on off SW and a built in rfi filter. Here is the link to it, i can ajust to what ever voltage i want out of the MOT i have pushed my supply to 100 amps @ 2.5 volts the number 8 aircraft wire on the seconday gets just a little warm with out a fan i do have fans i got from the microwave were i got the free MOT right now i'm using a home made diode bridge made from 300 amp diodes i had for the last 35 years LOL

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model..._term=IPM10-1L

A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a trickle battery charger hooked to it
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.