Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Litres per minute of HHO are needed

Huck Guest

How many Litres per minute of HHO are needed

I am just beginning to experiment with HHO; reading through this forum I noticed everyone is talking about how many Litres Per Minute (LPM) their generators will make. This brings two questions to mind:

1- How many LPM are needed to begin to see a fuel savings in a four cylinder engine that runs at a constant 1800 RPM?

2- How many LPM will be needed to eliminate the need for any petrol in the same engine? The engine currently burns gas at a rate of 4.16 litres per hour (1.1 gallons per hour).

I have heard of units running with as little as .5 liters per minute and still saving people money.

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    1- How many LPM are needed to begin to see a fuel savings in a four cylinder engine that runs at a constant 1800 RPM?.
    how fast are you driving at 1800 rpm 35mph or so? for most of the 4 cylinder cars i have owned or own currently that is just above idle. I commute to work on the interstate and run around 3000-3300 rpm at speed.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Assuming you are talking about a generator or pump of some kind, I would say that you should see significant benefits at 1ltr per minute, maily because you are on a constant rev range and dont have any acceleration to cope with! All the best.

dennis13030 Guest
    Per Question #2
    The equation is

X=D*RPM/2

X is the liters per minute required.
    D is the engine displacement in liters.
    RPM is the speed of the crank shaft.

Assumes that a 4 stroke engine is used and that all cyclinders are fully saturated with HHO.

Realistically, you may only require about half as much flow.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    I think you need to re-think your equation. With that equation, I would require 3000 liters per minute to run my 2.0 liter engine at 3000 rpms.

Mr. Smith

Ronjinsan Guest
    I agree MrSmith ...... if Dennis has a look around this site a bit he will come across some more realistic equations he can apply.

dennis13030 Guest
    It looks like a lot of flow is needed bye my equations. However it is the volume of gas/air that runs through the engine.

My equations do state that the cyclinders are saturated. They may not have to be saturated to fully function.

The flow rate is correct. Its the displacement of the engine times the speed of the crank divided by 2(for a 4 stroke).

Sfair74 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmakr View Post
    how fast are you driving at 1800 rpm 35mph or so? for most of the 4 cylinder cars i have owned or own currently that is just above idle. I commute to work on the interstate and run around 3000-3300 rpm at speed.
    That's strange. Maybe it's your driving habits or the traits of a small engine. Personal I have a 3.8L v6 in a 1996 Buick Regal GS and just cruising I'm doing 1600-1800 RPM @ 55-60 MPH. If I use slow and steady acceleration I don't pass 2000 rpm and if I do pass 2k it's not by much. When you use rapid acceleration and changes in your speed that's when the RPMs go up.

gasmakr Guest
    That post refers to 4 cylinder small displacement engines like 2.0L or less...
    I have also had cars that ride at a much lower RPM like my 5.0 Mustang it rides at 1100rpm at 55mph....but that also depends on gear ratio of the rear end and final drive ratio of the transmission..my commuter car runs an average rpm of 3000 on my commute at 65mph.