Thread: Stainless Mesh/Fabric

Stainless Mesh/Fabric

Hello everyone, I've been reading everything I can on these forums, and have started building my own cell to test. The other day I was playing around with different plate configurations, and it occurred to me that a stainless steel mesh would have significantly more surface area than even the best prepped solid plate. Has anyone tried this? Money is pretty darn tight for me right now, so I don't have the resources to try every idea that crosses my mind . Here's a link to a place that has some that looks promising. They really have a dizzying array of materials and configurations.

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control...X110TL0150W48T

Thanks,
    longshorem

PS Anyone have a quick and dirty way to convert/limit the output from a battery charger to 2v instead of 12v? I'm trying to play around with brute force production as well, and don't want bad inefficiency or extra heat.

Nice find, I would like to try it by getting two 6 inch pieces of this material and gluing them to a plastic plate because otherwise gas would get through the mesh and it’s not stiff enough

I don't need to build a whole generator, only two plates because I have a DC power supply that can vary from 1.5 to 15 volts at 100 amps.

If anyone wants one of this supplies let me know, and I will show you how to built it from old microwave parts or I can built it for you for $99.00

Built it yourself, if you get suck just email me at HHO_BLASTER@hotmail.com and I’ll do my best to bail you out, or I can sell you the parts you can’t find

Gary

I might consider using the mesh for your electrodes keeping the neutrals solid. The only problem is working out how you will be assembling them for best performance...

Electrowinning would probably work better than ss mesh.

They have some very fine mesh! This is very interesting im thinking even netraul plate may work. Anyway it looks like it would be fun to play with and the price is good. Great find

outnabout0 Guest

mesh

Problem i see is that it will act as the stainless wire does and burn out too quick. Due to the thickness of the mesh.

shorting

I tried to experiment with some aluminum screen seperated by fiberglass screen. Then roll the thing up to make it compact. The edges that I cut to make a 1 foot wide test hho would short out to the other aluminum screen. I never got the thing unshorted, and finally gave up on it.

Just a heads up.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by outnabout0 View Post
    Problem i see is that it will act as the stainless wire does and burn out too quick. Due to the thickness of the mesh.
    316L wire will hold up very good IMO, forget about the 304.

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    I tried to experiment with some aluminum screen seperated by fiberglass screen. Then roll the thing up to make it compact. The edges that I cut to make a 1 foot wide test hho would short out to the other aluminum screen. I never got the thing unshorted, and finally gave up on it.

Just a heads up.

Russ
    aluminum & KOH, even without current will desolve in a short time. you would be ceating hydrogen as long as the two were together

You might try doubling up the fiberglass screen to decrease the possibility of shorts. Also, in light of KOH dissolving the aluminum so quickly, why not just use baking soda for testing proof of concept? I know it isn't the best electrolyte, and aluminum isn't the best electrode material, but a working prototype would go a long way to proving that the SS fabric is a viable option.

Screen Expertise

A lot of different optiong being thrown around here in this forum. 316L is probably the option that I would think would work best but I am not 100% sure. I would talk to someone who is a manufacturer or expert in screening, more specifically metal screening:

Try possibly Mcmaster Carr or maybe
    http://www.bwire.com/

Small company in New Jersey, been manufacturing wire mesh and wire screens since 1919.