Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will KOH corrode my copper tubing?

JeremiahBT Guest

Will KOH corrode my copper tubing?

I'm using copper tubing in my gen, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether potassium hydroxide will corrode it.

Thanks.

Yes it will.

it will form a dark layer in the surface.. that's all

no corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by livehho View Post

no corrosion
    What do you think that dark layer is? Yes, it is corrosion.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

JeremiahBT Guest
    Perhaps it corrodes initially and forms that "dark layer" which then protects it against further corrosion? I know that both aluminum and copper will oxidize when placed in salt water, but the oxidation forms a layer that protects against further oxidation. Same situation?

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahBT View Post
    Perhaps it corrodes initially and forms that "dark layer" which then protects it against further corrosion? I know that both aluminum and copper will oxidize when placed in salt water, but the oxidation forms a layer that protects against further oxidation. Same situation?

Thanks for your input.
    KOH is much more Alkaline than seawater especially at 28% concentration. and yes copper & Pure aluminum will create it own protective bearer. but that only goes so far. In strong KOH solution they will both corrode relitivly quickly. i guess the question is how long will copper last before it corrodes to a unusable point.

Also the copper will become part of your electrolyte (for better or worse ) put a penny in a Saltwater aquarium and the invertebrates and possibly the fish will die from the copper.

Something to keep in mind when working with different metals. You can easily create a battery of sorts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_battery Using two different metals in an acidic solution will do this. For this reason expect varied results in your HHO efficiency. Not saying it is wrong, but you may not get the result that you were expecting. At some point in the future, I may experiment with different electrodes that form a battery just to see the results on HHO production. If somebody beats me to it, I would love to see the results.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

OxyHybrid Guest
    When the vehicle source power is applied to the electrolyte solution, it creates in effect, a battery charger that emits HHO as a byproduct of the charging action. When the vehicle source power is removed at shutoff, you can meter a significant battery effect at the terminals which in one test case, was nearing 2 volts DC and decreasing slowly over hours to zero. I use this "battery" to recharge the EFIE "C" cell at shutoff.

NOTES: 100% Sodium Carbonate (Arm & Hammer Washing Soda) and distilled water is the electrolyte and 4 plate 2x5 316 Stainless +NN- with an adjustable rechargeable battery-powered EFIE at .245v. Minor CO2 and CO production using Carbonate rather than Bi-Carbonate and there is no breakdown of Bi-Carbonate to Carbonate. Single cell generates 1/2 lpm measured with a Dwyer flow meter in a 5.7L 93 GMC with 186K, and logged 14 mpg town and 20.5 hwy on first (warm weather) trials.

UUUHHHMMMMMM, I had a small amount of KOH Completely EAT Through Coper Wire. I originally had my Cell dangeling from 10G coper wire inside the E-Lite solution. That lasted for about 5 days.....
    Got rid of the Coper wire and replaced it with Stainless strips, and No problem...

Quote Originally Posted by livehho View Post

no corrosion

In that case of the wire, it was very likely forming part of the "circuit" and hence electrolyses ate through it fast.

For example if copper wires are supplying current to the stainless plates in a wet cell they must be plastic dipped or protected from the electrolyte else they will melt away in no time at all.

People do this sometimes to make their cells more efficient, as long Stainless "runs" down to the cell are inefficient as stainless does not conduct electricity well and acts as a partial resistor.

In the case of the piping it would last longer as it does not form part of the circuit - unless earthed maybe + leads from the cell, so close to live current...

Still wouldn't like to try it though LOL