Thread: Egt?

Egt?

I am looking into monitoring my egt.

This may be a model specific question but is EGT a parameter monitored by the ECU? If so, where is the probe, is it the O2 sensor? And, where can I get the software and cable to plug into my car?

If the above is not an option I would like to buy an EGT gauge. Any suggestions? Any installation sugggestions?
    Red Rat

Quote Originally Posted by redrat100 View Post
    I am looking into monitoring my egt.

This may be a model specific question but is EGT a parameter monitored by the ECU? If so, where is the probe, is it the O2 sensor? And, where can I get the software and cable to plug into my car?

If the above is not an option I would like to buy an EGT gauge. Any suggestions? Any installation sugggestions?
    Some cars do have EGT as a feature, for instance the 2009 Jeep Wrangler comes with it. However, for the majority of vehicles out there, the answer is no. You will have to purchase one and install it. They are not too difficult to do yourself. It requires drilling a hole in the exhaust header for the sensor. I don't have a lot of experience with different brands as I bought mine off of e-bay. I have a single sensor version, but you can get them with a sensor for every cylinder. To me that would be overkill as all you are looking for is an average rise in engine temp.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

i like the aftermarket egt's that have a adjustable high temp alarm.

Thanks, Which type of gauge is better, analog or digital?
    Red Rat

You can go both ways, generally a digital gauge is more accurate but also a lil more expensive (depending on brand)

Analog vs Digital depends on the type of gauge, for EGT go analog. It's monitored by the EGT probe not the 02 sensor. If you are going to hook it up to a gauge then you will probably need to get an aftermarket EGT probe, install it in the headers, the closer to the heads the better. Autometer makes the best gauges, they have an EGT gauge and probe you can get for a few hundred dollars.
    If your car comes with an EGT probe stock than it will be monitored by the ECU and can be read with a plug in ODBii guage or similar gauges that you plug into to the ECU, they're are plenty out there, just search and find one that works with your make/model. This will also probably be cheaper than an EGT and probe, and will give you readouts over a number of sensors.
    Also find out the location of the stock EGT probe (if you have one) to determine the accuracy of the reading, the further back in the exhaust it is the less accurate and more delayed the readout will be.