Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HHO check valves...

bigjim56 Guest

HHO check valves...

I'm in need of HHO check valves for my system. The current check valve I'm using just isn't doing the trick. I visited the websites from a search of "check valve" of this website, and I also ran across criticisms of prior purchased check valves that have broken. I want to buy the correct ones from the start. USPlastics.com has some that lift as low as 0.5 psi, but I did a search on ebay and they have quite a few of various check valves on there.

Some questions I have are...

Do you run the check valve in line from the reservoir to the bubbler, or do you "T" it? "T"ing it would allow a more unrestricted flow.

Does anyone run a second check valve between the reservoir and cell influent, to guard against backflow?

Lastly, whats best, polyehtylene or neoprene? I believe it was the poly that was guilty of cracking, but I could be wrong.

Thanks ahead for the inputs,

bigjim56

This is my favorite check valve is made by Brady. i use them for aquariums...

I've only used there non spring loaded check valves they works fantistic. Much better than any other ive used. They have spring loaded ones.

http://www.campbellmfg.com/brady/products.htm#check

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MIWHEW/...0&linkCode=asn

bigjim56 Guest
    Thanks Roland,

Have you used this in your HHO system, between the reservoir and bubbler, you mentioned using them only in aquariums.

I agree, the spring loaded ones seem less likely to overcome the very low vacuum from cooling down of the cell components.

Its pricey, but if it works well, its well worth it.

bigjim56

No i never used one on an HHO system. Ive used them on pneumatics applications similar to HHO set ups. and industrial commercial and residential aquariums

bigjim56 Guest
    Thanks for the quick reply Roland. It looks to be a chemically resistant valve.
    If it is good for saltwater aquariums, that would be an indicator of its HHO worthiness.

bigjim56

I wouldn't use any check valve with a steel spring in it. I think that you would be better off with one that doesn't have a spring and mount it so that gravity will open it.

I saw this at an HHO website, and was wondering if it is something that could be picked up locally.

bigjim56 Guest
    I ended up buying 4 HHO check valves off ebay. They have a lift pressure of 0.5 psi with 1/4" connections. The low lift pressure is key, the suction required to lift the bubbler water back to the reservoir is very low. If these do not work I will probably try the USPlastic.com check valves next. They're pricier, but if they work, it'll be worth it. Either way, I won't run HHO no more until I've got a good working check valve, too tired of continually flushing the bubbler.

I will probably resort to using a pH paper to see if the bubbler water is getting contamination form here on out, transporting water samples to and from the water lab is getting cumbersome too. KISS is the way to go.

Thanks everyone for the inputs!

bigjim56

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim56 View Post
    They have a lift pressure of 0.5 psi with 1/4" connections. The low lift pressure is key, the suction required to lift the bubbler water back to the reservoir is very low.
    bigjim56
    The lift pressure wont be relevant for flow going in the backward direction. lift pressure, is whats needed to send the gas forward (to the bubbler. what needed to unseat the valve. )

http://www.smartproducts.com/check_valves.php I have some check valves from this company, very high quality, name your spec, not cheap (around $5.00)
    "EXPERIENCE" it's what you get when you don't get what you want!